Author Topic: The rewards of passing it on. Easter Selfbows  (Read 13850 times)

Offline YewArcher

The rewards of passing it on. Easter Selfbows
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:00:49 pm »
As allot of you know I hold a Thursday night bow making session here in SE Michigan. We started up in January and several guys have made sucsessfull bows. a few of them showed up for easter sunday stump shooting. This was the first time they had shot the bows that they have made.

Here is Dan. He has made a few board bows. This is his first Stave bow. It is Vine Maple....(From Joe Klink).....the bow pulls 55#@28" is a rocket launcher and as you can see is twisted and gnarley. I will have to post some pics of this bow in profile strug and unstrung its really incerdible that it has made a bow. A very good one at that. This bow has tied on knots as nocks alla Tim Baker with a linen string. Nice bow for someones first:

This is the best pic I have of this bow unstrung. This is it in roughed out shape. Look at the bow in the beam above the guy in the black t-shirt. That is what we where dealing with! LOL..Several of you have comented on it in this pic before:

Here she is at full draw:

Here is Jhonathan working on his bow back in Febuary. It is a Cherry Board backed with rawhide. His first while in the rough:

Here it is 50#@32" yes that right. Dont let anyone tell ya that you can only draw a board 28". This bow has 1" of set.

I shot my ELB and War bow through the day. I couple of others showed up to shhot there fresh made bows as well but did not get a chance for anymore pics.

The reward of sharing skills can only be fully realised when you see others enjoying what they have made. All these gusy are started on there 2nd and 3rd bows.

Happy easter!

Steve Junior Moore

Offline YewArcher

Re: The rewards of passing it on. Easter Selfbows
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 10:23:59 pm »
Here are some better pics of that vine maple stave:

SJM

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:24:38 am »
That is just plain cool.  Good job passing it on.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

330bull

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:38:38 am »
Cool!!!    ;D

I'm finally seeing some VM bows from staves I sent out last year.  I can't wait to see the finished product!  I hope I didn't let you down with those FREE staves!

More Pics, More Pics!!! (chanting mode)  :D

Later, Joe

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:45:21 am »
I really enjoy seeing these posts where guys are getting together making bows, we started one here in Los Angeles a few years ago and it had continued to grow. It's a great sport for men, once they are introduced to it. Steve

Dustybaer

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 05:19:36 am »
way to go.  i also like your shaving horse  ;D  did you make it?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 06:21:58 am »
Very cool Steve looks like fun.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:31:36 am »
Great results from a tough stave! It does feel good when you help get someone started in the hobby and they stay with it! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Minuteman

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 08:32:55 am »
Dusty, thats a Bowyer's Journal special. I've made two of 'em so far. Sold one at Mojam and gave one to a friend I met there. Gonna make two more soon. Take 'em to the classic.
 The directions they gave were pretty good but had some errors and left a few things out. Its a good bench design though, simple and it works.

ridge

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 08:34:04 am »
 Great stuff!   Feels good to pass it on.    R

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 08:37:44 am »
Good job at passing it on,there is nothing like it when you see someone finish there first bow and make that first shot out of it,I remember that,just barely ;D and it is a fine feeling.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

duffontap

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 02:27:33 am »
This is some pretty fun stuff.  Looks like a party.

J. D. Duff

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 01:18:10 pm »
You can tell both Dan and Jonathan that their bows are bookmarked for April Self Bow of the Month - Good Job.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 02:30:06 pm »
Thanks guys, They will apriciate all the complimets.

I will pass them on. Hope to have some more pics of others completed bows soon. One guy is working on a suoer snakey osage and another a black locust that is gonna be really neat!

Dan has started his first 3 piece all wood takedown as well.

Remeber to guys that this is an open house night, so for anyone in the area intersted please do not hesitate to PM me and get started.

SJM

Offline jpitts

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 02:23:29 am »
Looks like a fun time. Way to go.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia