Author Topic: splitting a big black locust  (Read 7056 times)

JustinNC

splitting a big black locust
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:35:52 am »
Any ideas on how to get this beast split? It will have been cut off the stump a week from this coming saturday. Unfortuneatly I went at it yesterday with 3 splitting wedges, and splitting maul and an 8lb sledge hammer and managed to get a split started, but after about 18" of splitting, the wedges would start, and then bounce out. Got a buddy with a saw mill Im considering having quarter it for me. I may loose a little bit, but if I can salvage a couple staves, it's a couple more than I have.

Afraid I may have just ruined it by starting it yesterday and not being able to finish it. I beat and beat and beat with an 8lb hammer and wedges and it would budge after the initial 18" or so of splitting.

May end up with more firewood and 0 wood for a bow. I may have bit off more than I could chew with this one. Guess I'll be on the lookout for more bow wood just incase.

Before I started the butcher process.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: splitting a big black locust
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:47:51 am »
You haven't ruined it. You may need more wedges. If so make them from hardwood. Get the steel wedges started and move on to the wood ones. You may also need a small ax to cut splinters holding pieces together.
  How long is the log. If longer make it 6" long. Will make it easier to split. You may also wait a month to allow the log to begin checking on the ends. This will give you a good starting spot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:56:10 am »
Thanks Pat....everybody and everything made it sound like it was doom and gloom if I didnt get it split the day I cut it. Let 4 days later....and heaven forbid a week and a half later. I think you may be onto something with the ax and cutting the splinters.

As far as more wedges, I couldnt get it told hold the three I had. Id get some of them about 4 inches in and then hit them again and they'd bounce out and steam would come up out of where the wedge had been after it went. It was like driving them into rubber.

The log is 82" Pat. I may cut it down some next time I go at it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:01:12 am »
I always make my first split with a chain saw on big logs. Make your cut in the bottom of one of the valleys shown on the butt and you won't be into any stave wood. After you get the log in half the rest can be split pretty easily.

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:06:09 am »
Good idea. I may go back at it this weekend. Don't think I will have time before the weekend.

DCM4

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:22:58 am »
You can't bully the big stuff, it's biggern you.  Cut the stringers if there are any.  Try to find and exploit any natural checks, preferring ones that center the log and are the largest.  Start with the most modest wedge, lowest angle, you have.  Peck on it lightly so you don't bounce it back out.  Once it gets to a certain depth the friction will hold it better and you can put more force behind it.  Listen to the wood.  "Tank" is it sayin' "bite me."  "Thump" is it sayin' "I give up."

I've split the most knarly crap you can imagine w/ a 2# hammer.  Here's my lil hammer, and that tiny little wedge is the end off of a broken hachet I use for starting a split.  This was not a particularly large log, but the lesson still holds.

One of my fave ole pics of wife workin a log with my lil hammer.

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:35:46 am »
I'm going to keep trying. I started with the largest crack I could find, which wasnt that large on a fresh tree. It's also not wanting to split all the way through. The split runs to the very center 6" of the heart and runs a growth ring around it. I won't give up. One thing is for sure, it aint oak, or hickory, or even a good piece of maple!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 02:28:59 pm »
I can't offer much about splitting that hasn't been offered but I sure wouldn't try splitting that beast with a chainsaw. But that's me. Exploit any cracks you find. I assume you cut that into 6' sections. Anyone ever use a hydraulic splitter for that purpose? At 62 I'm making bows out saplings now and thanking the Lord that I can even do that. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

DCM4

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 05:13:15 pm »
Use a hatchet head or something sharp to create a split line on the butt end from one side to the other, bisectiing the pith line.  It wil usually follow where you start it, with some variation perhaps where it pulls up splinters and stringers.  Cut the bark back if you need to, to be sure there ain't a knot or something big hiding near the surface to force your split off track, and to help guide the split along. 

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:44:50 pm »
Are you trying to start your split at the butt end of the log? That's the toughest part of the tree IMO.  Working from the top end down works best.  At least it seems that way to me. Good luck........ART

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 07:03:32 pm »
when you get it split, id be glad to try a piece and let you know how it works:)
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 08:01:25 pm »
How good are u with a chainsaw as I have been splitting logs for years.  If u know how to plunge cut then u can cut a line down the tree and once u get good u can do it relatively straight.  Once u do it u can with ease, pound a wedge or two and work ur way on down to the butt.  u can do both sides if it is too big.  To let u know I have split trees near 40" in diameter this way but sometimes twisted grain knots and other issues may make it twist or propeller on u while its being split.  U can also take a face board off then roll it over on the flat side then split it down the middle, from there quarter it .  I was a sawyer at a lumber mill for many years and kinda miss it.  Good luck hopefully it will work out for u.

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 08:02:32 pm »
I have split dozens of big osage logs with a chainsaw when I was way off the road and had to carry them out by myself. I have a limit on what I want to put myself through to get a log in half.

JustinNC

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 08:30:38 pm »
Went back at it today and figured since bow making is an art and not a tough love skill, Id use that logic to try and split the log. Guess what? It worked haha. Moved a wedge just up the log of the last one I had lodged in it and lightly tapped it in and Im not sure if it was just because it dried a little or what but she started moaning and groaning and before long I was able to play leap frog with the wedges and lightly tap them in and finally got a stave split off. Bad thing is...on the butt end is about 6" square.....then it tapers off to nothing but sap wood and ONE hardwood ring on the top end.

I still declare it as a victory as I now have the logs number so to speak and will finish it this weekend and HOPEFULLY end up with some bow wood. Thanks for the advice guys.