Author Topic: almost done my pyramid bow finishing questions  (Read 4006 times)

Offline 15yearold.archer

almost done my pyramid bow finishing questions
« on: July 30, 2010, 03:15:10 pm »
hey guys im almost done my thirdbow the pyramid bow ive tied some nylon string to it to just get the limbs workin while i wait for my good one but the tiller is good and its pulling about 48 at 26 inches thats with the nylon string wich is probably obsorbing some wait anyways while i was shooiting ive noticed its much different shooting without a cut in arrow rest can you do one to a pyramid bow? and i find the arrows are flying to the outside of the bow without i see why that is obviously because the strings in the middle and the outside of the handle is to the side of the string when an arrow is layed on it.. so how do i go about fixing this do i cut an arrow rest ? just really thin down the handlle ? im not sure what to do

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: almost done my pyramid bow finishing questions
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 03:19:10 pm »
Put a bit of extra weight on the point ends of your arrows and shoot them some more.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 03:40:11 pm »
probably shouldn't cut into your handle, but you could glue some wood on the side then cut the arrow rest.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:43:45 pm »
The problem isn't your bow, but your arrows.  As was mentioned above, put more more weight up front on your arrows.  This will produce the effect of less spine (i.e. resistance to bending) on the shaft.  That's important because when shooting a non-centershot bow like you've got, proper arrow spine is critical.  If you don't understand archer's paradox, do a short search to learn about it.  Centershot bows are more forgiving of various spine weights since the arrow isn't forced around the handle nearly as much.  Don't fall prey to the myth that bows with shelves shoot more accurately than bows without them...it's all a matter of proper arrow tuning.

If you don't have any heavier points for your arrows, which I assume are wood, then you can add brass tubing to the ends to up the weight.  You can get it at local hardware stores. Here's a picture of mine:

A little hot melt or superglue will hold them in place.  I wouldn't cut a rest into your bow.  Here's a picture of a red oak pyramid bow I did some time ago with a leather floppy rest.  The bottom picture is a 15 yard group out of that bow with properly matched arrows. 

Best us luck, and be sure to do a search on archer's paradox.  While you're at it, do some research to better understand arrow spine and how it affects arrow flight.  ;)  There's lots posted on these subjects on this site and others.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:50:43 pm by 4est Trekker »
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17