Author Topic: designs for persimmon  (Read 10000 times)

Offline white wood

designs for persimmon
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:15:20 pm »
hey guys i got a couple of seasoned persimmon staves and was wondering what would be a good design for this type of wood? ive never used it before so any ideas or designes that have worked for you would be great along with any pics you may have. i was thinking id like to make a 68" or 70" long bow but dont know how this wood does with a round belly. i guess i could make the same style only make it with a flat belly? any help would be appreciated! thanks, -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: designs for persimmon
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:00:50 pm »
   Jesse,I've used the wild persimmon here but not the Japanese persimmon. I treated it just like any white wood bow.It acted like hickory to me but easier to work.It has a nice light gray color.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:31:26 am »
I would say to treat it like whitewood, also. I've never worked persommon because every tree I've cut grew in a spiral. Makes good golf clubs!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:07:08 am »
Update us with info when you tiller out your first persimmon bow white wood.

J. D. Duff

MattE

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 08:47:45 am »
Persimmon wood is extremely hard.If you make a d-section bow It might be wise to use a shallow d-section to avoid freting.It should make a good bow.I would think it would be similar to osage in character.

Minuteman

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:18:40 am »
A buddy of mine cut some that was straight when he split it but 3 months later it was so twisted he couldn't do anything with it. It likes to move as it dries so don't split it out too small before you dry it . From what I've heard I'd split it in half then dry it some before I split it any more. Ifd its less than 6 inches across I'd seal the ends and let it sit for awhile before I split it at all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 09:32:34 am »
I have made bows from it,I split it in half and let it season for a few months and then thin it down and clamped it to the jig/table and let it dry for another few weeks.I lay them out like Hickory
about 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 at the fades out to about mid limb the taper to 3/8 at the tips.They worked out fine,no frets and are a beautiful purple in color when finished with tru Oil.They dry out slow
so keep the moisture down and keep in a warm dry place when you aren't working on it. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline white wood

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 12:34:50 pm »
thanks for the advise guys!  the wood i have has been seasoned for five years and is 72" long straight and no twist at all to them! i think ill make one flat bow and one semi-round bellied longbow. justin i will post pics as i go along. also these are very heavy peices. ill get started on one this weekend! thanks again guys, -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 03:40:24 pm »
I'm looking forward to the pictures. Let us know how each design works out. I have access to quite a bit of persimmon, so I might have to try it.
Doug from Missouri