Author Topic: Size of cane/boo arrows.  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Tim B

Size of cane/boo arrows.
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:30:34 am »
I am going to make up some Tonkin arrows and was wondering what size the nock end of the arrows you guys make is? Do you try to keep them around 5/16" toward the nocks or do you go larger?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Size of cane/boo arrows.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:09:10 pm »
Just depends on what size of cane spines out where you want it. With tonkin the nock is usually pretty skinny, 5/16" or less.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 10:21:49 pm »
That is good news.  I picked up a big bundle (24 I think) of bamboo at Tractor Supply today for $2.99, and I was afraid that most of them were too small.  I was thinking that they had to be bigger.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:59:55 pm »
If they are big enough to cut a nock in I try to use them.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Tim B

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:59:09 am »
Thanks for the info. I bought a box of 500 and most of the small ends are around that size. They sure straighten real nice with a heat gun and I can't wait to finish some to shoot with my bows to see how well they hold up. The walls are nice and thick so I can't imagine them breaking very easy.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »
if you make them right, they will hold up.  ive got some arrows that have been shot over 100 times.  ive had some missed shots too, and ive yet to break a shaft.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:01:06 pm »
Missed shots?  You must have let somebody shoot your bow, was he a compounder?  Bill

Offline Tim B

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:46:41 pm »
When you wrap sinew under the nock are  you using hide glue to keep it in place or something like superglue?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »
when i make primitve style arrows i sue sinew but no hide glue
i chew the sinew to soften it,the saliva in your mouth and the sinew make its own glue
i believe the chewing action release protien from the sinew,this mixes with your saliva and thats how it maks its own glue

after it is dried fro a few days i do use,clear fingernail polish to seal the sinew
i do that just to keep the humid summer weather/damp fall weather from causing my sinew to soften when i am out shooting them
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ozarkcherrybow

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »
If the nock end seems too small for self nocks, make up some antler nocks to fit into the cane. That is how I make all of mine....Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work

Offline Tim B

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 10:45:51 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Terry, when you make your horn nocks do you file down the end like a dowel to fit into the hole and the outer horn as large or larger than the boo? Also I noticed that when I am spine checking these guys they mostly range from 70-120lbs. Only a small percentage of these guys are in the 50-60lb range. Is this normal with Tonkin?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:08:34 am by Tim B »

Offline ozarkcherrybow

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 09:02:22 pm »
Yea, I file them down like a dowel, then shape the outer part to fit the particular arrow. I usually use epoxy to set them in (not so primitive, but it works).
 As far as spine goes, I'll pick through a batch and match them as best I can to about 20lbs.  Cane is very forgiving in spine due to its continues taper through the shaft. Some may argue that, but it works for me. I have never tried spines at 120lbs in a 50lb bow though.. I have used spine as high as 75 in a 50 pounder with good results. (self bow that is.)  My last set that I made was tested at a local shoot with guys shooting bows that ranged in weight from 45 to 70 pounds and the arrows were spined between 50-65 (rivercane), and everyone was impressed with the flight. 5 inch parobolic Wild turkey feathers......Terry
any stick do for bow, but good arrows are damn heap work

Offline Tim B

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 02:05:26 pm »
Yeah a lot of them spined around 70-75 pounds and i figured I could sand them to bring the spine weight down a bit and see how they work with my self bows. I taper my hexshafts as well but they aren't so high in spine to begin with. I do appreciate the info and will give them a try.