Author Topic: Compression Block  (Read 11165 times)

duffontap

Compression Block
« on: April 10, 2007, 03:17:35 am »
Has anyone used the compression block from 3 Rivers Archery?  You heat it up and spin your shafting through with a drill to heat-compress your shafting.  I was wondering if you could compress 3/8" shafts down to 11/32?  It's a little spendy, but it would be worth it if it would allow me to compress a full 32nd of an inch.

J. D. Duff

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Compression Block
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 05:54:21 pm »
  You beat me to it JD.I was just looking at that in the cataloge last nite.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

duffontap

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 05:57:35 pm »
I really need to add some weight to my shafting but I like using Doug Fir.  I thought the compression block may be a good option for me if it will allow me to compress the shafting enough.  I may have to switch to Hickory shafting with some of the bows I'm shooting to keep around ten grains per inch. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 06:17:35 pm »
You can soak them in danish oil to add a little weight.  I think it adds about 50 grains max.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jamie

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:43:38 pm »
jd if you do use it you need to up your spine about 5 lbs. if i remember the last time i used one it was set up for 23/64 to 11/32 and 11/32 to 5/16th. an easier way is to use gasket laguer. each coat adds 10-12 grains depending on if its new or been in the tube. i dont reccomend really going crazy with the laquer. but up to 5 -6 coats doesnt hurt and you could use it to dial in the weight of your shafts. im able to get my shafts within +-5grains.

duffontap

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 12:24:13 am »
Thanks for the ideas guys.  My arrows come out around 600-650 grains.  I would like to move up to 800 grains on a couple of my current shooters to get ten grains per pound.  I've shot my prospective hunting bow with 1,000 grain oak arrows a couple times and it handles them well.  Maybe I'll just try hickory and see what I think.  Or, I could do some long footings with Ipe? 

J. D. Duff