Author Topic: River Cane in Michigan?  (Read 6092 times)

Zombie

River Cane in Michigan?
« on: August 01, 2010, 03:26:15 pm »
... so... I would really like to make a set of cane arrows, but i can't seem to find any river cane in my area(Ann Arbor-ish). from what I've read it's "supposed to grow all over this area"... maybe I'm just not looking for the right plant, or not looking in the right areas? if any one has any info on this subject(pictures of a stand of growing canes) it would be a great help.

Offline aero86

Re: River Cane in Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:03:00 pm »
i didnt think i had any in my area. but i found some at a small boat launch on the edge of a lake.  have you looked around the rivers in your area.  gotten out of the car and looked?  maybe try google maps or something, look for the bigger rivers in your area that pretty much always have some water..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 04:06:45 pm »
The native cane(bamboo) in the US is Arundaneria  and the 3 species are tecta, gigantia and appalaciana. Google these names and see if it grows in your area.  There may be other non-native bamboos that do grow in your area that will make arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:57:43 am »
The fartherest north that native river cane grows is southern IL, IN, and Ohio; so any river cane that you have in Michigan is likely to be something else, maybe Phragmites reed or some sort of bamboo.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.