Author Topic: snakeskin cresting  (Read 14019 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
snakeskin cresting
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:32:29 am »
What is the best way to finish the skins when you crest an arrow with snakeskin?  If you do a good job gluing will the edges stay in place when you shoot? Do you ever wrap the edges of the skin.  I have a couple of snakes that are just right size to crest arrows. The scales on these things are so small you can hardly tell they have scales.  ;)  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: snakeskin cresting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:11:20 am »
Justin, On the few snake skin crestings I've done I just glued them down and sealed with Tru-Oil. So far no problem. The skins should be thin like copperheads and western and prarrie rattler skins. Eastern D Back and big timber rattlers are too thick. IMO. I believe there is a build-a-long on TradGang about snake skin cresting of arrows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 03:43:24 pm »
Thanks Pat, I was thinking about putting a 2" crest or maybe 2 1" on the Southern Community bow arrows. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:57:11 pm »
They will look sharp!!!   The ones I did had about 5"-6" of skin, some under the fletching and some just below the fletching.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 04:01:35 pm »
Do the fletchings stay good glued over the snake?  I can always get more of these little buggers maybe Ill do 6". Justin

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 05:12:40 pm »
One of the fairly recent back issues if PA has an article that Mickey wrote about snakeskin cresting for arrows. I have a PatB copperhead crested arrow that's really cool looking.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 05:55:02 pm »
I believe I used fletch tape over skins.   Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 06:15:29 pm »
I remember that article Hillbilly. I just cant remember which issue it was.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 12:40:27 am »
I found it Hillbilly. "Simple Snakeskin Arrow Cresting" by Mickey Lotz  Summer 2005     Justin

SW Utah

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 02:01:48 am »
I think a snake skin crest directly under the fletching would look really cool.  And the sinew wraps on either end of the fletching would ensure that the ends of the crest never peel up, regardless of what kind of finish is used.  And with a spiral wrap, the feathers wouldn't even have to be glued down.  In fact, the seam of the crest could even be cut at an angle so that one of the fletches covered it when placed on at an angle.

I'm going to have to give this a try.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."