Author Topic: Set Question (pics)  (Read 14596 times)

woody

Set Question (pics)
« on: April 10, 2007, 04:22:48 pm »
Hi All,

Take a look at the string follow on this bow and let me know if you think it is too severe to make a credible deer hunting bow. 

Do you measure set from the back side of the handle or the belly side? - from the back, it is about 4 1/2".

It is Osage, approximately 64" nock-to-nock, and pulls about 55# at 28".  I was going for a pyramid design and would have made the limbs a couple of inches longer, but the stave was only 65" total.  You'll also notice the tiller is off on the lower limb; I still consider myself a beginner, but I think I am getting better.  Practice makes perfect, and I plan on getting a lot of practice. : -)  Thanks for your help.  By the way, I finished it with linseed and burnishing.   

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 04:25:45 pm by woody »

a finnish native

Re: Set Question (pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 05:37:41 pm »
if you ask my opinion the string follow is because the tiller which is off. I would balance the tiller and reflex the bow with heat. If not reflex then at least balance again, because compression fractures probably will appear on that lower limb if the tiller stays as it is. if the bow is fast enough and quiet enough then it should work for deer.
otherwise nice bow and great craftsmanship.

duffontap

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 05:46:02 pm »
I think most of us measure from the belly to the string at rest in the middle of the handle.  No doubt you could hunt with that bow though.  Very nice finish by the way!

J. D. Duff

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:12:45 am »
Do you draw a full 28 if not you could cut and inch or so off the bottom limb and re tiller.That is more set than I like but the first bow I took a deer with had about that much.I usually measure mine by laying it on its back and measure the tips, or from the back of the handle to what it is laying on to check the backset.String follow won't hurt the shootin sometimes I think they shoot smoother wit a little it just cuts into the performance. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 08:10:51 am »
Not bad for a beginner woody, I'm still learning also.
When you tillered did you go slow making sure to exercise the limbs after each wood removal, never draw it past its intended
draw length or weight. All these can cause set. In the full draw pic your pulling to your ear is that your normal anchor point at 28"?
You never want to overdraw yer bow bad things can happen.
I have several white ash bows with 3" of set and they still shoot fine. Good luck and keep us informed eh.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 08:44:23 am »
Already a lot of good suggestions...the bow can be improved if you're willing to maybe refinish it. Shortening the lower limb as Pappy suggested will stiffen that limb and will also add some draw weight to the bow. Might would have to tweak the tiller some. If you're satisfied as is, you've shown a lot of talent also in this bow. I like the style of your tips, really nice looking finish, and good grip also.

Should be capable of taking a deer with this weapon. You might follow some of the good advice given already during the tillering process. If you like, reflexing a bow prior to tiller will offset some of the deflex that occurs during tillering. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Minuteman

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 08:54:10 am »
Thats alot of set. Was it dry when you tillered it? Lotta my first attempt came out with a buncha set like that. Didn't have a moisture meter so I was guessing on the moisture content(MC). Got one now , helped alot.
 If it doesn't explode and shoots an arrow its a bow and goes in the win column as far as I'm concerned.

330bull

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:23:16 am »
I would also challenge that you are pulling the bow 1-3" further back than what you need to.  I barely let the string hit the corner of my mouth and then I let 'er rip!  Just my opinion though.

Being a beginner as well, I would not settle for less and rework the bow to remove some of the string follow and correct the tiller too!  I have two bows I should have reworked but got too anxious to finish them "as is".  You have more potential in that bow.

I also agree that the bow has a great finish and will make a sweet hunting bow!!!

MattE

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:00:43 am »
You did a good job on your bow with the exception of the tiller. Did you over draw the bow during tillering? If so you invited set.Very nice job on the tips and finish! You are well on your way to turning out very good bows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:15:18 am »
Woody, You did a fine job on this bow. Building bows without set comes with experience. I have had very few self bows break but have made lots with that kind of set. They all shot arrows and when made, I was very pleased with them...and rightly so. If you are comfortable with the way this bow shoots and feel confident that you can put an arrow where it needs to go to take a deer, the bow has what it takes for a successful hunt.
   As far as trying to repair the set, you may be putting more effort than it is worth. Once the wood cells have collapsed(main cause of set) trying to uncollapse them is fruitful.You end up doing more damage to them. I had thought of possibly recurving the tips but that causes more stress.
   Enjoy this bow as it is and start your next one. You have plenty of time to build another bow and still be ready for hunting season.  As was said above...Start with well seasoned wood, take it slow, exercise the wood with every wood removal, take it slow, remove wood evenly and only where needed, take it slow, don't pull the bow beyond your target weight or draw length and take it slow. Did I mention take it slow? ;)   Looking forward to seeing your next bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 10:18:40 am »
Congratulations on your bow. I'm from the "if it ain't broke don't fix it school". Enjoy you bow. Since you asked, the upper limb is bending well but needs more bending near the handle. The lower limb is doing most of its bending mid limb. You didn't mention how wide you made it. Where you told the wood was dry?  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snedeker

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 11:03:59 am »
One really out there althernative, that I don't necessarily endorse, would be to cut an inch off either end, sand off finish, and reverse it.  Put silt on the belly and re-tiller of what is now the back.  Would be interesting to see how it worked.  The comment about the draw depth is a good one.

Put silk on belly that is.  the other must have seem like some kind of magical  rite.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:35:28 pm by snedeker »

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:16:34 pm »
 Good advice given here. I agree with Jawge , leave it alone. Is that your draw? Bow will still take deer sized animals if you do your part. Measure set like Pappy from back to tips. Good luck on next one , will be a next one Iam sure.............bob

woody

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 04:50:14 pm »
Thanks everybody for all of the encouragement and advice.  I have enjoyed viewing pics of some of your fine craftmenship, and it means a lot to me to read such kind words.

I think I'll do as Kowechobe, George Tsoukalas, and Pat B have suggested and leave it be.  Besides, I could be working on another bow. : -)

My draw may be wrong. I haven't been shooting for long and don't know some of the finer points of shooting style or proper positioning or whatever.  Could anybody recommend a good shooting book or video that covers these points?

Also, the wood was cut over a year before I began working on it.  It was a quarter split stave from a medium diameter tree (don't remember how big it was).  It sat in my very dry basement for that time.  Moisture probably wasn't a problem.  Although, I couldn't say for sure.

The width was 2" at the fade outs tapering in pretty straight lines (there was some propeller twist in the lower limb) to just over 1/2" nocks.

Thanks again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 07:16:12 pm »
The book that tought me about instinctive shooting is..."Instinctive Shooting" by G. Fred Asbel. He believes in a fluid stance and draw and it fit my liking from the start. Fred usually has a few articles in the archery magazines about shooting and solving shooting problems. Easy read and very informative.
   With osage, you will fair better with a bow that is narrower than the 2" you used. That may have also added to the suceptability to take set. 1 3/8" to 1 5/8" is usually good for osage, with a straight taper to 3/8"tips. I'm in the process of making an osage bow that is 7/8" to 3/4" for most of its length and 61" long. She pulls 42#@24" but I haven't finished sanding yet so it may be a bit less. If I had concentrated on this splinter I could have easily gotten 45# or more at 26".  It doesn't take much osage to make a good bow. Osage has good compression strengths so a thicker but narrow limb is possible and prefered.
   Your stave could have had a bit more moisture even after a year. If stave had been taken down to almost bow size it would dry quicker. An old rule of thumb is 1 year per inch of thickness.
   Now! go get started with that new bow! ;D Take your time, don't draw it past its ultimate draw length or weight and exercise the limbs between wood removal...and
Take plenty of pics.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC