Author Topic: some tough broadheads......050" band saw blades (added , weight and shape)  (Read 6728 times)

half eye

Hey Fellas,
       Heard some things from a friend that's a real good blade smith, and turns out that commercial bandsaw blades are made out of some real tough Sweedish steel. Larry Watkins who cuts my quartersawn for me had some 14 foot sawmill blades and gave me a piece of a broken one. So I did a "dirty" quicky head cut out and threw a so-so edge on it and hafted it up to an old maple shaft.
      Gave it the hillbilly penetration test (7/8" subfloor board).....well it completely penetrated the board and only stopped cause the shaft would not penetrate the stuff......and from that mid 40's rocket launcher that Ken75 just sent me. Anyway, it took some vise-grips and a hammer to get it out....just as sharp as it went in, came out perfectly straight (no rolled tip) and I have no doubt that it would give complete penetration on a live deer, even if had to cut bone on both sides.
      If ya know anybody that has one of the portable saw mills and they got some broken blades they make some very sharp and tough broad heads.....they average .050" thick and the steel is some real tough stuff. enjoy the pics.
rich

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:09:21 pm by half eye »

Offline jonathan creason

Re: some tough broadheads......050" band saw blades
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:40:39 pm »
Yep, that should do the trick.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:55:36 pm »
poor deer they'll never know what hit them . looks like good stuff Rich even from a whimpy bow ! lol

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:58:01 pm »
I can already hear what he will say later this fall..."The deer never saw it coming!"
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

half eye

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:01:29 am »
Ya Ken, thats the small blades I'm sending the big ones are the same steel but .070" ....and that bow aint whimpy either......
JW your a bad man, sir ;D

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:03:12 am »
im lookin forward to making some points with them Rich

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:13:53 am »
what will you take in trade for some of that metal?  I wanna make me some of those.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

half eye

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 12:17:57 am »
Josh,
     give me yer address and we'll get ya some. These blades are 7/8" from the gullet to the back of the blade ....but if you layout and incorporate the teeth ya can get just over 1" wide ....if your state needs that width.
rich

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 12:19:57 am »
In Alabama it's a minimum 7/8ths and 100 grains... Thanks a bunch Rich... PM sent.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 12:47:02 am »
Sure looks like they'll get the job done, can't wait to see your harvest this fall.
Nate Danforth

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 02:54:53 pm »
Very tough steel...I got a bandsaw blade from the welding shop...nothing like harden steel blades made to cut through steel.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 05:30:36 pm »
Gee whiz...you've got a winner right there!  Got any pictures of the broadhead itself?
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline aero86

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 05:37:49 pm »
anyone care to make a few for me to "torture test"?  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 06:28:56 pm »
I would gladly make a few for testing

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »
if you find yourself with more than you need, i'd like to get in on the trading too....

i saw an elk the other day that would look good with one of those in the opposite shoulder   ;)