Author Topic: Quesion about bamboo backing  (Read 9577 times)

kerbinator

Quesion about bamboo backing
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:58:50 pm »
I have a question on bamboo baked bows. Is it necessary to tooth the bamboo and core wood prier to gluing. If yes I will have to get a toothing plane. 3rivers has em for a $100 or so. Is there other alternatives?

Offline Dano

Re: Quesion about bamboo backing
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:42:34 pm »
Yes there are alternatives. I have backed with bamboo with out scoring the surfaces and used Titebond III, don't know if I'd be that wreckless again tho :o. If you feel you have to score the surfaces you can use a hack saw blade to do the work of a toothing plane.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:11:21 pm »
Check out the article in the new issue of PA-Jim was using a jigsaw blade clamped upside down on the edge of the workbench to score the glueing surfaces, just pulled the bamboo and core wood across it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:03:54 pm »
I have never scored a boo backing.  :-X Maybe I am lucky.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 12:30:43 am »
I think it depends on the glue. For glues like Urac you should tooth the surface but with TB glues, they like smooth mating surfaces.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:00:04 am »
The roughest surface I have ever used on   a bamboo backing glue-up was the 40grit on my bench sander, and I have used all the common glues..save your money for that toothing plane, and get the tools needed for good surface contact. ;D.

I use TB3, bicycle inner tubes to mate the surfaces and then clamp the assembly into your form, mold, caul, shape however you  do it. ;D

Rich-goes thru lots of glue

kerbinator

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 02:26:30 am »
Thanks for the replies fellas. This simplifies things allot. You all will be one of the first to see my Bamboo backed bow.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:49:31 am »
I have never done anything more to the bamboo then sand it with 60 grit and call it good.  No let goes yet with Urac.  I am going to do my next glue up with TB3 following Rich's example.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 12:00:25 pm »
If you go with epoxy, scoring up the surfaces with a knide point or whatever works fine.

Dave