Author Topic: New Hunting Arrows  (Read 7602 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

New Hunting Arrows
« on: August 07, 2010, 02:44:20 pm »
Just finished this matched dozen for this season.  (Also just finished the boo-backed ipe/osage bow in the first picture.)  Arrows are poplar with a black and tobacco sunburst dye job.  They're spine matched to +/- 1 lb and weight matched to +/- 10 grains.  Thanks for looking!

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: New Hunting Arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:52:49 pm »
Nice hunting set up, 4est. Looking forward to seeing blood stains on them before too long!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 03:24:50 pm »
Thanks, Pat.   Those white fletchings do get dirty in a hurry...like you say, hopefully for the right reasons  :)

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 04:07:37 pm »
I have no problem using bright fletching. I like to watch my arrow fly and the bright fletching helps do that. If you are concerned about spooking your quarry a simple cloth bag over the fletching will conceal them. I personally don't think the color matters as much as movement does.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:05:03 pm »
super clean looking arrows! i'm a big fan of white feathers, too- especially when they have bright red frothy blood stains!

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:57:47 am »
nice arrows.

where'd you get the poplar shafts ?? (you may have to PM that info, if the vendor is not a PA advertiser.) 
I hand planed some poplar into arrow shafts a few years back and was very pleased with the results.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:30:34 pm »
Excellent work! The colors are stunning!
Living a dream...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:37:29 pm »
Very nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 11:02:30 pm »
Beautiful!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:14:50 am »
Great set of arrows, man!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 01:20:30 am »
4est, what's going on the business end of your hunting arrows. My main hunting arrows for this year are hill cane from my driveway that Art Butner made up for me and WW up front. I also have stone tipped arrows to shoot with my main hunting bow and my back up bow.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 02:01:23 am »
Pat: I've been using MA-2's and like them a lot.  Someday I'd like to use stone-tipped cane with my osage selfbow.  Just haven't had the time to get those together. 

Sonny: I buy the shafts at Menard's.  I think the franchise is localized in the Midwest, but I've seen them from time to time at the major home improvement retailers (i.e. The Home Depot, Lowes, etc.).  Each time I go, I sort through all the 5/16" dowels in the rack for ones that are clear and straight grained.  I bundle them up and store them until I get about 20 or 30.  Then I cut them to 30 inches, sand them, straighten them, spine and weigh them, and then group them in bundles by spine weight.  Heck, for $0.28 a piece, you can't hardly go wrong!   :)

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 07:44:23 am »
Very nice set. I do like the dye, came out pretty. go dirty them up!
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 10:40:02 am »
nice job love the white fletch with the red string wrap

Offline ericw

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 07:16:11 pm »
4est Nice looking arrows. I like the bright/ white fletching myself. What is the writing on the shafts? Do you put your signature on them?