Author Topic: New Hunting Arrows  (Read 7645 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Re: New Hunting Arrows
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 08:40:47 pm »
Scott: Nope, I do it all the time.  Lacquer is a finish that is compatible with nearly everything.  You do need to let it cure out though, and that can take several days.  It dries to the touch very quickly, but cures to it's harder state over time. 

Eric: Thanks.  Yep, I sign my signature, hometown, and spine weight on the arrows using white India ink.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Jay

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 10:13:26 am »
Supper nice set!!  What weight bow do them out of?  I've used some 3/8" oak shafts and am not happy with them. They are too heavy ( compared to my cedar arrows) and flex way to much. I don't have a spine tester , I work near a Menards around Milwaukee and will have to try the poplar 5/16". I shoot a 55# longbow.

Again great set of arrows!!!!
Jay

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 12:25:04 pm »
Thanks, all. Jay, I shoot around 43# on my near centershot bow and 40# on my osage longbow and horsebow (neither centershot).  I use the same arrows for all of them (the centershot bow being more tolerant of spine).  I usually shoot shafts with around 33-36# spine.  Now, I've got a bunch of shafts in the sub 30# range and a bunch in the 40-45# range, but it's taken quite a few trips to amass them.  Seems like most I get are 30-40# in spine.  But heck, for $0.28 a piece, I just grab all the straight grained ones in the bin each time I go!  The raw shafts cut to 30" usually weight around 300 grains in the range I shoot.  I suppose for your longbow you could add weight up front by using a brass tube footing.  I've pasted a picture below.  A 1" piece on a 5/16" shafts usually yields about 80 grains of mass increase, depending on the pipe wall thickness.  Best of luck!

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 12:27:33 am »
nice arrows!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Jay

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 10:46:49 am »
4est, thanks for all the info. Now I know what I'm doing at lunch tomorrow. Our Whitetail season in Wisconsin is comming up quick. ;D
Jay