Author Topic: Snakey Hickory Takedown  (Read 26167 times)

Offline white wood

Snakey Hickory Takedown
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:14:10 pm »
well heres some pics so far. the bow is from a tree me and my uncle took down. we got a ton of straight staves from a 40' section before there were any branches! when my uncle dropped of all the scraps he didnt want, there lay this branch that looked like it might have a bow in it. i split it out and got this nice little pair of billets with some snakey grain and one had a button knot the bumped up and has alot of character. i left a little cambium on for decoration and have only got one coat of tung oil on it. i wasnt going to post this bow until i finished it with a nice handle wrap but couldnt help it.       Its 66 1/2" long, 1 7/8" at the fades then tapers down to 1/2" nocks. it pulls 48#@28" as of now but im expecting it to dry a little more this summer months. here are the pics of it so far. ill post more when i get a handle on it and ill put some nice braced and full draw pics and a better description. let me know what you think so far! -jesse

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline venisonburger

Re: Snakey Hickory Takedown
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:22:30 pm »
Thats gonna be a sweet bow, snakey is cool, but a takedown too.. I like it.
VB

Offline white wood

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:48:09 pm »
hey thanks VB! this is actually my first takedown. i have always wanted to make one but never got around to getting a set of sleeves. so after i ordered them i got right to it! they are alot eiser to fit than i thought they would be! definatly wont be my last takedown! -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:09:07 pm »
Nice takedown. I think you should name it prince charming. Its got a big old wart next to the sleeve, but man is it nice. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 12:21:22 am »
Gonna be a nice bow, Jesse. I have a sleeve take down system that was given to me but I haven't attempted an instalation yet. Will you try to explain the process for me? Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jpitts

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:20:32 am »
Looks like a sweet bow Jesse. I'd love to hear your process for the sleeves too.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:24:43 am »
Very nice jesse,I like the take down and the snake.Just one question why did you leave the
sap wood on.I suppose it will work cause you are doing it I was just taught to take it off and catch a good ring of heart wood on Osage. ???I was always afraid it would check.Can't wait to see the finished pictures.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:00:42 am »
Looks good Jesse, waitin on the money shot.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 08:47:39 am »
Pappy, it's hickory ;D Looks like it's gonna be a nice'un.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 09:00:47 am »
I am a dummy,should have looked closer.I guess that is what comes with age.I had just looked at an Osage earlier so I guess that is what I was thinking. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 02:35:08 pm »
Hi Jesse,
that looks good. Can't wait for the fd pics ;)

Also I'm interested in the process of putting the sleeves on.

And you have a nice quiver on your tillerboard, I think :)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 02:55:38 pm »
Looks like a good character bow especially for hickory! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline white wood

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 08:57:57 pm »
justin that would be a great name for it!  ;D hadnt thought of a name yet. now i dont need to!  ;)  sorry for the mix up pappy! hehe i guess next time ill make it more clear. just kiddin, looking quick i guess it could look like osage sapwood. its pretty snakey for hickory. i havnt seen many pieces of hickory that didnt split straight so this is one of the reasons i chose this set for the bow.  andrew the quiver you see is from the belly wood from the billets. as i draw knifed them, thay left long straight thin slats that at the time were wet and pliable. so when i had the billets roughed out to were i wanted them to sit and dry, i looked at all the scrap and decided to weave them. i split them up into as thin as i could strips, and started weaving them. they worked out pretty good, better than i expected.           now for the sleeves, i laid them on the back of the bow and alaigned them with the tips. then i traced them and traced the ring on the but end of the billet. i made alot of guide lines all around the billet to make sure i went far enough but not too far into the wood. i cut the side lines in with a band saw, and the bottom line were the extra wood was on the roughed out billet. i did this for both limbs and then stardet tweaking them with the belt sander. i sanded a little at a time checking the fit constantly.  the sander was a very usefull tool for doing this part of the bow. once i hed them fitted, i put the bow sleeves on and slid them together. they were a little loose fitting but i wanted them a little small so i could adjust the tips and i knew the epoxie would fill any small gaps when i glued the sleeves on anyway. leaving a little room for adjusting the tips, i was able to get an almost center shooting bow without cutting a shelf. this is alot easier to understand while your actually doing it. this project went way better than i thought it would and was fun to build. im planning on doing another one soon and wil make a build along. thanks for all the nice comments, ill hopefully have a grip on it tommorow for final pics. -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

brokennock

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 12:14:56 am »
Lookin great. I've got a ton of questions for ya but I don't know where to start and the situation is hard to describe without pics. See, I too wish to make a 2 piece hickory take down like yours. I have the sleeves, i have the wood (i think?) and the need. I have 2 full length twin staves, both have X-treme reflex on one half, I would like to cut them each into 2 billets and match the reflexed halves together and the straight halves. I'm having trouble figuring out where to cut so I have enough wood for the handles.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 12:27:13 am »
Brokennock, I would get enough from the straight ends to make a straight bow and not worry about the X-treme reflexed ends. They would probably put too much strain on the stave at the sleeves edge and they would be difficult to tiller.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC