Author Topic: Snakey Hickory Takedown  (Read 26169 times)

Offline Psycho

• Free to roam.
Re: Snakey Hickory Takedown
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 11:29:12 am »
That is neat. A character bow from hickory and a takedown at that. Looking forward to your version of the sleeve fitting process and more pictures as the bow evolves. Very nice.
                                                   Eliseo

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 11:45:39 am »
I've been meaning to do the same thing with a couple of short ERC billets.  I don't have enough length to splice, so I'm thinking sleeve.  Is that the small sleeve from 3 Rivers?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 11:52:20 am »
Quite a few years ago, Rusty Crain and Mike Westvang wrote an article on making a take down sleeve out of rigid metal conduit(1 1/4" or 1 1/2"). I have some I cut but haven't tried it yet.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline white wood

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 06:39:15 pm »
pat i was thtinking of making my own but didnt know what id make them out of. i think i might make some round sleeves and bend them oval. if i do ill post some pics. sort of a how to. stickhead, i got mine from pine hollow but yes they are small sleeves only because they were out of large. im actually glad i used small now though because they are perfect size. -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 10:33:45 am »
Jesse, I will try to find the article that Rusty and Mike did. I can't remember if it was in PA or TBM. What I did was clamp the conduit on a vice and slowly squeezed it into an oval.
   The sleeve set I that was given to me is the larger one also. Until I mount I won't know for sure but I think I'd prefer the smaller set.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 10:38:10 am »
Very nice bow. Looking forward to the finished bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline white wood

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 06:38:52 pm »
pat the sleeves i used are small and measure 4" long and is 1" wide and 1 1/2" deep. those are the outside measurements. i have large hands and it is very comfortable to hold. -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 02:34:53 pm »
Hey Pat, did you find the article? I can remember reading it, but I cant remember where or when.
I have a large D sleeve, but I haven't had billets and I cant bring myself to cut a stave in half.  ;D ;D  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 03:58:39 pm »
Justin, I have just what you need for the sleeve! ;D See ya at the Classic. ;)    No I haven't found it yet I'll keep trying.   Pat

brokennock

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 10:23:29 pm »
 Pat, I was kinda thinkin the same thing. I figured if Ididn't have enough wood at the handle end of the reflexed pieces I wood use them for limbs on a 3 piece takedown with seperate handle/riser. I wish I could post picks of these staves, the reflex is great and matches almost exactly on both pieces of wood. too bad its on 2 seperate pieces.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 12:29:04 am »
Bob notified me that the article is in the summer of 03 issue of PA. Thanks Bob.   Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 12:41:35 am »
Bob notified me that the article is in the summer of 03 issue of PA. Thanks Bob.   Pat
That makes since, I went back as far as fall 03 looking for it. Murphy's Law I guess.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 12:03:16 pm »
hey pat,  mr. don of lexington, sc makes a bunch of take downs using the steel conduit sleeve.  looks simple enough and it has to be easier than mating the steel and brass sleeves together.  if i worked with more billets i would try the steel conduit style of take down.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 01:17:32 pm »
Chris, Wasn't it you that gave the sleeves to me?  I'm gonna try one with conduit also.   Pat

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 01:21:10 pm »
Pat do you use just plain ole conduit? What size? Also if conduit will work how about copper pipe
that would be a distinctive look.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI