Author Topic: Snakey Hickory Takedown  (Read 26183 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snakey Hickory Takedown
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 01:53:03 pm »
Dana, I got the stuff I have from the trash pile behind an electrical contractors office. I believe it is 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" rigid conduit. I believe that copper would be too soft and not be able to handle the stresses. A bow takes a lot of stress at the handle area.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 02:17:24 pm »
      Don't bother with copper pipe like Pat said. Too soft, trust me on this one I know ! ;D.......bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 03:32:20 pm »
Thanks Pat & Bob

Have a bad experience Bob? ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 04:05:43 pm »
 Just because its stuck in the ceiling tile, does that make for a bad experience, naw ! ;D....bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 12:59:41 am »
Just because its stuck in the ceiling tile, does that make for a bad experience, naw ! ;D....bob
Anytime it misses you its a good experience.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline white wood

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2007, 09:28:05 pm »
ok guys heres some pick of the handle wrap i did. i couldnt post it earlier because in maine we got floods and wind and were without power for 3 days! anyways, the handle is a chocolate brown leather with a hemp wrap. i have been shooting this bow for the last couple of days and man is it a sweet shooter! i was worried that with the snakiness and slight twist in the limbs that it might not perform very well but it shoots like a dream. by far the best shooting bow ive made yet. very smooth draw, no stack, and no hand shock at all! this bow shoots close to center because of how i lined the limb tips. because of the close to center rest, it shoots diferent splined arrows almost the same! ill get some full draw pics up tomorrow. the bow also shows little set after unstringing and drops to no set after resting. heres the pics of the handle, -jesse

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2007, 09:50:30 pm »
...Very nice indeed Jesse. Hemp and brown leather look really good........bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2007, 10:47:48 pm »
Looks good Jesse. I cant wait to see the full draw.  I'm also curious about how the handle feels when you draw it. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline white wood

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2007, 10:54:59 pm »
justin i was curious about the handle before i shot it but once the limbs are together, its a pretty solid weapon. when its strung, you cant tell its a two piece at all. no weird movements or noises with drawing or release of the arrow. there is no extra bending movements in the sleeves whatsoever. im really impressed with how the sleeves are working. im going to get a couple more sets in the near future. its so handy to take the bow apart and slide it in the quiver. also when i decide to go on a hunting trip by airplane, it will fit in an arrow case no problem! -jesse
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2007, 11:02:19 pm »
Jesse, I was actually referring to the shape of the sleeve. I like the bulbous handles that are a little thicker and deeper in the palm. I am planning to add a little something to mine to give it some shape.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 01:44:01 am »
You could glue shoe leather to the sleeve and shape any way you wanted. Then add another wrap.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 07:56:09 am »

can't wait to see thisone finished!
frank
Frank from Germany...