Author Topic: leave the bark on?  (Read 14683 times)

Offline billmac

leave the bark on?
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:02:49 am »
Crazy question.  For thin barked trees like birch, I wonder if you could actually leave the bark on the stave? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: leave the bark on?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:21:55 am »
I read about leaving some bark as a backing on hickory bows(Primitive Archer Vol1 Issue2, I think). The otter bark was removed and the inner bark was left. I believe the outer bark on most trees would be too brittle and could crack under tension and that would be desaster for a bow. Which kind of birch are you talking about? Paper (canoe) birch would probably be flexable enough but sweet birch would crack.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:33:07 am »
........LIke Pat said....bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:34:47 am »
I tried leaving it on a Hickory limb bow and it looked cool for a while then it started cracking as it seasoned, so now I take it off.Never tried Birch. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DBernier

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:22:03 am »
Pappy, even the canoe birch bark after 3 or 4 years dries out and becomes  brittle as to tearing it horizontally. I remember my birch bark canoe 25 years ago was very tough and flexable but after some time it was not. Tough yes, flexable not so much. I guess what I am saying is eventually it will dry to the point on the bow it would develop horizontal cracks in it. I have a couple of sheets (4ft x 4ft) that are 5 years old that crack when you look at them. Are you trying to make a bow from Birch? If so why not take the bark off and then glue a thin section back on. I've seen Vinson do something similar. I am going to do something similar on a long bow with birch bark and another bark or stain job.

Dick

Offline billmac

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 09:22:11 am »
I have grey, white (paper), and yellow birches around me.  I never read about anyone using grey birch for bows but  that is by far the most numerous birch in my area.  Most everyone mistakenly calls it white birch because it is, well, white.

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 03:26:09 pm »
Strunk did an article on building a survival bow for PA about ten years ago.  He said he thought green wood was stronger with some bark left on and seasoned wood was stronger with the bark off.  I do know you can leave some bark on thin-skinned plants like serviceberry and oceanspray. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 03:35:30 pm »
I've seen pics of plum branch bows with the bark left on.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 07:09:50 pm »
ive left it on hickory and elm but wouldnt reccomend it. especially if you hunt. it cracks like a firecracker sometimes. just about stopped my heart the first time i heard it and im pretty sure the deer i was pointin it at left a pile of pellets where he was standing. lol peace

ridge

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 07:21:36 pm »
Don,t have any dealings with birch but i left the sapwood on a hickory pyrimid. I used it all one season but the next season it made the click noise that we all dread and the sapwood had dryed and seperated. I retillered which dropped the# to a level that retired it for deer hunting. I sure miss that bow. Now i clean off everything and back with suede leather. 

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 10:23:36 pm »

I've got a couple of what I call swamp birches in my front yard. Went out while ago and pealed some bark off. I think it would look good on the back of a bow (possibly osage) if you could get it to lay flat enough and sealed in. I'm afraid that it might crack and cause problems unless you put a hundred or so coats of tru-oil on it. ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 12:29:59 am »
I have used paper birch bark as a backing but it was a single, paper thin layer. I used it to cover a sinew backing. I believe it was used on Asiatic composit bows as a limb covering for moisture protection.
   When I read about leaving the inner bark of hickory on as a backing was just a short while ago. Now, I will have to wait until the trees go dormant again to collect a stave.
   Greg, Your swamp birch is probably River Birct(Betula niger). It has paper like bark but it only flakes off in small pieces. Paper birch is simular but is in continuous sheets.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 08:28:06 am »

That sounds right Pat, I wouldn't be able to get one section long enough to place on one entire limb...would take multiple sections. I thought if you could get it to lay down and really pour on the tru-oil to the back you might could get it to work. Just didn't know about it potentially cracking over time.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 08:41:28 am »
Greg, I've been thinking about the river birch bark lately, too. It peels off in really thin layers, should work.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 10:35:40 am »
I take the inner bark of usually but depending on my mood I'll leave bits here and there for decoration. The stuff is very stringy and doesn't want to be there really. In time, if the pieces are too large, it peels off on its own.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!