Author Topic: Snake skins  (Read 7233 times)

Offline jturner

Snake skins
« on: April 12, 2007, 11:32:14 am »
I dont know if this is the right place to post this but I was going to get some snakes for backing some bows and was wondering if you tan them or how to prepare them and store them before use.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snake skins
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:39:47 am »
J, If you are collecting the skins yourself, just skin them and tack them to a board, flesh side out and dry them. Be sure to remove and excess tissue that may have stuck to the skin. After they are dry, usually only a few days, you can remove them from the board, roll them up and store in a dry place...or you can put them dirrectly on the bow green once you have skinned them. Either way works well. You do not need to tan these skins but you must remove the scales. The skins will have to bew dry to remove the scales. You can use Tite-Bond glues or hide glue to stick them to the bow.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturner

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:11:22 pm »
Thanks, I was thinking of trying it this year. It's a good thing that you told me about the scales.

jake
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:52:35 pm »
Yea, If you don't remove the scales the finish will look cloudy. Also, depending on the skin you use if the wood your bow is made of is light in color, a dark stain on the back before you add the skins will help to show of the skin's pattern better.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 02:53:45 pm »

J, I usually remove the scales after the skins have been applied to the bow. Duct take works pretty good for getting the majority of them off. Of course after the scales are removed, the bow must be sealed...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:33:22 am »
Like Greg, I usually remove the scales after I put the skin on the bow. One important note to using tape, pull the tape off in the direction the scales lay. Don't pull against the grain. If you do you might actually rip the skin. Never a good thing... Chris

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 06:36:44 am »
Been there done that Chris.I try to rub off the worst before I put them on and then rub
off the rest after they are glued down.Just a rag rubbing with the scales will get them off pretty easy. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 08:30:37 am »

Good point Chris and Pappy, something else that Pappy finally got drilled into my head is to always lightly sand/steelwool between coats of sealer also in the direction of the scales...not against them.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 09:40:31 am »
Ill just add this. Im a visual learner so check out this link.  http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/snakeskinbacking.msnw
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah