Author Topic: Lam. bows/ what kinda clamps??  (Read 15510 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Lam. bows/ what kinda clamps??
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 11:22:46 pm »
I used a combination of 4" spring clamps and c-clamps to setup my last bow. I was pretty happy with the result. I'm surprised that the spring clamps are not big enough for you - how thick are the limbs?
Gordon

Minuteman

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 10:09:57 am »
The 4" clamps looked like they would have worked ok on boo but on a flat hik backing it just didn't look like they would hold things flat to the edge. I could have cut little blocks to spread out the pressure but there was only 7/8" of jaw opening to work in. That doesn't leave alotta room to put in a block, so I sent them back.I think a 6" clamp woulda worked fine, wider jaws and more jaw opening for pressure blocks.
  I'm gonna try out Justin's rubber band method soon. Gonna build a Torges style post-form today.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 10:26:24 am »
I have noticed on hickory backings that the edges curl up when water based glue is used. Thats where I have problems. A good pressure strip helps. I use a piece of sheet metal for this. 
   I like spring clamps better than screw clamps. I have had screw clamps loosen up in the hot box, I guess as the moisture of the glue exaporates and the wood components shrink. Spring clamps keep pressure on the work even if the glue up shrinks a bit. I have never been able to get good glue lines. I may start trying rubber bands or inner tube bands and see how that works for me. I usually don't do many lam bows but I know I will make a few in the future.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 09:55:55 pm »
I like the idea of the carpet felt I'm gonna try that, I forgot, I buy a roll of plastic wrap, and cut it in half with a razor knife so it's only half as wide, then I roll it along the top of the form, then place my lams on top then bring the plastic wrap over on each side so the glue is contained inside before I rubber band it. I also use some cheap spring clamps in the center since you have to pull it down so far.
VB

Offline episaacs

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 10:12:20 pm »
I use foam rubber cut into sections to fit between the boo nodes, between the backing and the form.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 02:25:34 pm »
In the current issue of PA Vol 15 Issue 2, pp. 48-51 is an excellent article by Jim Boswell "A Reflex Deflex Glue Up".  He uses U-bolt clamps. 
This is an excellent thread. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:27:39 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 03:09:41 pm »
In Jim's article, looks like he's only clamping it at the handle and midlimbs, the rest is wrapped together in Saran wrap?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Minuteman

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 07:19:44 pm »
 Hey , Justin,do you think theres enough time to get the whole thing rubber banded together when using titebond 3?
 How long does it take you normally to get one rubber banded together?