Author Topic: New bow club  (Read 33034 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
New bow club
« on: April 12, 2007, 08:48:54 pm »
I just heard they are starting a new club here in town with a shooting range.  The problem is they have opened it to wheel bows. I don't want to sound stuck up or anything, but sometimes the wheel bow shooters over run everything.  I don't know if I want to join or not. What do you think. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jamie

Re: New bow club
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 12:30:08 am »
justin nothing irratates me more than shooting with wheels lately. my club is 75 percent wheels . there is always room in the clubs for improvement and thats where you come in. you'll be amazed at how many eventually decide to try shooting a stick. when you have time bring a bow to work on so they can see it. offer to teach others to build their own. even if it meens holding classes. light the fire. peace

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:46:32 am »
You are right Jamie. I have a set of snake skins and a beaver tail grip. I need to make me a good snake bow to get attention, then go shoot with them.  I think Ill take a couple of extra bows for them to shoot.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:40:30 am »
justin,at one time years ago our club was all wheels except me and a couple of others,now it isn't all selfbows but it is all trad.Longbows,recurves.There are 3 or 4 out of 28 that will hunt with wheels sometime if they miss a couple at the beginnig of the season but most Trad. gear is all the own now.They watch you and see how much fun it is and most times that is all it takes.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 10:25:53 am »
Pappy, sometimes I wounder if most of these guys would make better shooters if they shot instinctive anyway. Some are really good shots, but others spend so much time messing with gadgets that they couldn't hit a barn if they were locked inside.  I know they would be happier. It would allow them to enjoy the shooting and friendship instead of worrying about all the trinkets.  Justin

SW Utah

jamie

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:58:10 am »
justin youd be surprised how easy they pick it up. with the compound they are locked out for so long their form is already set when they draw and they are usually gap shooting. plus they havent had the time time to drive all the mistakes into their head like me. lol

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 10:24:04 am »
I called a couple of the local primitive guys last night.  We are going to infiltrate the club, and infect as many as we can.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 12:00:57 pm »
Like a toxaphilic plague. No known cure either. ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 01:30:46 pm »
That's the way to do it justin.You got to fish where the fish are.That's and old proverb or something. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Postman

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 04:03:16 pm »
Justin-You're right- my nephew left his release at home , drove 2 hrs to a relatives to hunt with his $350  "training wheels".  (didn't come up with that jab, but I can't stop using it...) Couldn't use his fingers accurately enough to even hunt.  He's on my Gotta infect list. Every other hunting conversation I seem to have with kids at my school or yonger relatives  is about new gear. They're losing the essence of hunting & fellowship over gear envy.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:24:59 pm »
It only takes one to make a difference!
                                          Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 11:30:37 pm »
That sounds like plan! After you and your buddies infiltrate, keep us up to date on how it's going :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Bishop

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 12:11:09 am »
Justin
  you were my guess in the picture contest and i would like to thank you for making me lose.... ;D
I have always had a attraction to primitive archery but what got me started was a copy of PA magazine, it seemed much simpler to me, not easier (it is soooo not easier), but simpler....no 3,4,or 5 pin sights, no wheels, no drop aways arrow rest to tune, no trying to keep up with the newest gear, it was almost a relief, primitive feels more natural to me. even though i have not taken a deer with a bow i have made i know when i do i wont be worried about it being a trophy, why, well im not sure, but i wont. now i have a interest in making knives and im getting into knapping.
  When those compound shooters see you shooting a bow you made and hitting a target with it they will see these things also...in todays world any kind of archery is a good thing, the compound shooters just dont know any better yet.... ;D
Bishop

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 12:12:27 am »
I dropped out of my Archery Club....they decided that it was too much Trouble to have Shoots set up for Traditional and Compounds....too much more work to Score and set up yardages for each 3-D Shoot....and they even complained about the Indoor Shoots being too much Trouble....So 3 of my Buddies and myself quit.....why give them $90.00 a Year for the use of an Indoor 20 yard Range....when they would not try to include Us in their Tournaments?? Now We all Shoot in my Back Yard....only 25 Yards....unless We Shoot through the Open Gates....then We can get 45 yards >:D >:D.....To Much Trouble...they will never Understand!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 12:37:37 pm »
Update,  the new club is now 80% traditional shooters and the monthly shoot is catered to the traditional guys.  ;D Wheely guys are allowed, but they are the minority. Justin

SW Utah