Author Topic: are power tools evver acceptable???  (Read 12806 times)

Offline volarion

are power tools evver acceptable???
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:26:41 pm »
seeing as Imm new I just thought I would get an obligatory probably stupid question out there, is it ever acceptable to use power tools when making a bow??? for instance when roughing out the shape could ou use a table or band saw??? and for that matter could you glue a back to a piece of wood and bend it into place with the glueing itself (after being put ino a shape) making it hold form then cut it into rough shape???

Offline profsaffel

Re: are power tools evver acceptable???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 02:59:13 pm »
Yes, yes, and yes.

Really, to each his own. What is acceptable is a matter of personal preference. There is little right and wrong in these questions. Nearly every bowyer here uses a few power tools now and then, especially a band saw and belt sander. Still others (with much more time on their hands) like to work a primitive bow in a primitive way, with hand tools only. And, you will find plenty on this site who use as many power tools as possible, whenever possible to make bows as fast as they can OR because they are just at that stage in life when rasping and drawkniving is physically too difficult to do exclusively.

As anyone with any experience will tell you, however, is that with the speed that power tools brings comes the speed in which you can turn a great stave into firewood.

TEHO,
Doug
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 03:00:54 pm »
short answer yes.   :)  I don't think it matters how you achieve your goal either with all stone tools or use of a band saw/belt sander... That's the way most of us make our bows on here. As long as you are using all natural materials and no fiberglass this group will accept it.  Granted, you get waaaaaaaay more cool points if you use all stone tools from felling the tree to final tillering/sanding.  We are a pretty easy going bunch.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 03:01:30 pm »
guess we were posting at the same time, Prof.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline volarion

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:03:07 pm »
exactly the same time :P thanks for the help

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 03:56:40 pm »
I really think for the first few bows you should use mostly hand tools, and not because they are better or more "right" but because it allows you to go slower and make fewer mistakes at least fewer unfixable mistakes.  Once you get a hang of the basics then you'll actually appreciate the power tools.  The proffesor was exactly right about how quick power tools can ruin a good bow stave/board.
Nate Danforth

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 04:23:33 pm »
A good bandsaw will save a lot of time once you become proficient. I use mine a lot when roughing out bows. And for making laminated bows, a power saw, jointer, and belt sander are indispensable.
Gordon

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 04:51:00 pm »
A good bandsaw will save a lot of time once you become proficient. I use mine a lot when roughing out bows. And for making laminated bows, a power saw, jointer, and belt sander are indispensable.

No kidding!
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 05:33:44 pm »
I agree with Nate about hand tools making you go slower. Learning to build wood bows is not only about how to make a bow but also the different properties of different woods and even the same woods as well as different designs that work better with different woods. Learning patience is paramount and hand tools make you work slower but also teach you about the woods and their properties if you allow it to.  I know people that can go from stave to shootable bow in 15 minutes or less on a band saw. To me that's no fun. I like unwrapping the bow from inside the stave and you really can't do that with power tools...at least I can't!
  I use a band saw and a belt sander. The band saw at the beginning to get the stave to almost bow size. From this point on I use a rasp and a scraper to complete the tillering process. At the very end when everything else is done I use my belt sander to flatten the tips for overlays, to shape tip overlays and to shape handle over and under lays of leather or thin wood slats.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 05:45:33 pm »
I like unwrapping the bow from inside the stave ...

Well said.  That, to me, is the essence of self bow making.  You'll know you're a bowyer when you begin to see the bow in your minds eye as you look at the stave.  Sometimes it doesn't work the way you envision it and the wood throws you a curve, but the feeling really is of discovering and releasing the bow, hidden inside the stave.  Thanks for reminding me of that.  I also agree that slower is better than faster.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 06:38:33 pm »
Good one. I like it! Let's see I've made at least 200 bows and broken about 100 over the course of 21 years and I've never used a bandsaw on a bow. I do use a power sander. Yes, is the answer to your question. I could and do use power tools on bows. I think you should confine yourself to the use of hand tools until you've made 6 successful bows. I know you didn't want to hear that but that's what I think.  My site may help you. :) Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline volarion

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 06:44:34 pm »
I dont mind hearing it :P I was mainly trying to see if anyone had useful advise on the matter and as I see you all do :) thank you (now I gots to go find ou where I can get one of those pull knives :P )

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:24:49 pm »
Go to an "antique" shop, flea market, junk shop, pawn shop or garage sales. The older draw knives are better and way cheaper than the newer ones. IMO. Just be sure the edge is still good and without pits. Pits elsewhere don't matter that much.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:51:58 pm »
                    I still do I would say 90% of all of the work on a Stave with Hand Tools...I use a Palm Sander to finish sand....and sometimes a Dremel for the Nocks....

On a Board Bow...I will use the Bandsaw to rough it out...and the Palm Sander and Dremel Tool still...but I still use my Rasps and Drawknives on Boards
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 07:58:09 pm »
I've always had problems with draw knifes on boards. I prefer planes on boards and draw knifes on staves.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA