Author Topic: are power tools evver acceptable???  (Read 12808 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: are power tools evver acceptable???
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 08:05:08 pm »
Got to get the cutting edge right ...I have Stave Drawknives....and Board Drawknives....and when the Board gets to bossy....I break out the Sureform......... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 08:08:46 pm »
Are the bevels different?  Sharpness difference?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:01 pm »
  I keep the Bevel the same...but the Edge is a lot keener on the Board Knife....might have something to do with the fact that my Board ....Knife is also not a Flat Blade either......it's Crescernt Shaped
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 09:47:51 pm »
Power tools are great for certain stages of bow making.  Especially in 90+ degree summer heat.  I use the bandsaw for roughing out the bow and the belt sander to get it to floor tiller stage.  After that, it is all scrapers and files.  Check your local craigslist site for deals on used tools.  I bought some tools new, and some older used ones.  The older used ones are of better quality than the new ones, and a lot cheaper.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 11:36:28 pm »
Jeff, turn the board around and attack it from the other direction or turn yourself around Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 01:25:46 am »
Hi there Jeff, I use many tools powered and hand, I agree with( pat b) In the beginning it is best to stick to hand tools as much as possible to truely learn the trade.Today I worked with my draw shave, chasing a ring on a nice osage stave. I did use a band saw to cut out the bow shape. But the tiller and final touches will all be done by hand       .Denny

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 02:48:33 am »
Jeff, turn the board around and attack it from the other direction or turn yourself around Jawge

LMAOROTF........... ;D

Atta Boy Jawge.......... ;)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 03:31:20 am »
  If I am working board bows or laminated wood bows I use the power tools. If I have a nice stave I will often use nothing but hand tools. Sometimes I rough it out a bit on a bandsaw. I started off going for speed but have reverted back to just taking my time and enjoying the journey, the finished bow will likley just end up in a stack with a bunch of other ones anyway. Steve

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 04:18:29 am »
I really think for the first few bows you should use mostly hand tools, and not because they are better or more "right" but because it allows you to go slower and make fewer mistakes at least fewer unfixable mistakes.  (...)

...and the beginning bowyer will be able to understand better what he's actually doing.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 08:20:41 am »
I use band saw and belt sander about like PatB. Scraper and rasp for the tillering. You can do just as good a job for sure with hand tools only,and like others have said it's a good idea to start that way,you can ruin a lot of wood with power tools till you learn what you are doing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 08:53:35 am »
i like rocks  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 09:10:22 am »
i like rocks  ;D

;D ;D ;D

My first three bows were made with all hand tools, not even good ones mind you, and in fact, I didn't even have a decent table... hang on a minute, I didn't even have a vice to hold the darn things! Those three bows are trash (two are broken and in the corner of shame), but I learned more from rasping those staves to bows than I've learned in all the successful bows since then combined. Had I started out with a nice shop full of power tools...  :-\
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

half eye

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 09:39:18 am »
     Makin bows aint no different than any other type of woodworking in this respect; the object is to remove unwanted wood to arrive at your end product (dont matter if that is furniture, art sculpture, or bows). The other fellas were trying to convey a sense of "gettin in touch with the wood" and that is also true. working with it is way better than fighting it.
     Having said that I really believe that if the ancients had access to bandsaws, power sanders and the like they would have readily and with great glee accepted them with open arms. They were making tools not "pretties" and efficiency makes survival a whole lot easier. Since this bow making for us is a hobby and not survival ya can go about it anyway that pleases you. The use of a power tool doesn't necessarily mean that you dont have a "feel" for what you are doing either. One of the true joys of any woodworking endeavor is the "hands-on" feel, but that doesn't mean that power tools are the devils seed either.
      I think that you ought to go at it with the desire to do it......and use whatever ya got to get the job done. The real enjoyment is in the satisfaction of what ya made with your hands, not so much what the hands were holding when ya did it.
      PS: The main diff between hand tools and power tools is that hand tools go to the work and require the hands to be off the stock, and power tools require ya to hold the stock and go to the tool, so for old cripled up people power tools allow for some enjoyment that hands tools would not allow, also a sharp hand tool can take wood off faster and cleaner than sander anyday.   JMO
rich

Offline dwardo

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 11:07:05 am »
Mostly hand tools here :)

My next door neighbour has a bandsaw but i am next to useless with it and have ruined a few staves trying.
Power saws scare me to death and most other tools are just too noisy. I like to chill and listen to the radio whilst playing with bows but then i am only making the odd one or two for my self and friends so i dont have to rush.

I would like to get used to power tools one day but at the moment i dont really need them and

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 02:56:14 pm »
Power tools are a good thing, however even though I would consider myself very proficient at using them I still opt to use hand tools on wood that I've not worked before just to help me "learn" the wood. For instance I've just started on a great redbud stave but I've never worked redbud before so I have drawn the profile down with a drawknife just to let me know how the wood responds to things like changing direction of pull with the knife and such, so when I get closer to final tiller I know how much I can push the wood with my tools so as not to make a big mistake later on. The next Redbud stave I do I will be using the bandsaw on though!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)