Author Topic: are power tools evver acceptable???  (Read 12805 times)

Offline markinengland

Re: are power tools evver acceptable???
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 06:20:36 pm »
My personal opinion is that any tool has it's place.

I use the tool that does the job and that I like to use. Sometimes this will mean that a bow is made with just an axe, other times I'll use a power tool.

Perhaps for some people bow making can be almost like a religion with wrongs and rights they feel very strongly about and power tools equals "sin". On the opposite side for some it is a business and handle tools are a fools errand and inefficient.

There's room enough for all views I hope.

Offline volarion

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 07:44:31 pm »
wow so many eplies :D

Offline Traxx

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:30 pm »
Alot of good replies,and i see truth in all of em.
Heres my take on things.If a person wants to make "Primitive" bows,they should use "Primitive" methods and tools,especially,if they want to advertise them as being primitive.If not,then if other methods are used,then they are primitive "Style".If haveing that "Primitive" lable doesnt matter to someone,then anything goes and shure,its allright to use power tools or otherwise modern methods.Some people just like to make,Wood bows or Organic bows or just bows,and arent concerned with any Term of specific origin.I say have at it then.I just dont like power tools because,i cant stand the noise.LOLI like my bow makeing to be relaxing and i cant relax with all that ruckus goin on.

bowkee

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 10:01:17 pm »
Sure helps if ya have chronic ;D fatigue

Offline gmc

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »
Automate just as much as you feel the need and your pocketbook will allow. But keep in mind that there's no bow out there that can't be built with just a few simple tools from a sharp piece of flint to high priced bandsaw, the choice is yours. Enjoy!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:01:42 am by gmc »
Central Kentucky

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 01:12:38 am »
Jamie's response made me laugh, "I like rocks". 

Next year I plan on doing an entire bow starting with a knappable rock and a hammerstone.  It's part of the whole learning experience and adds fuel to the fire in my belly.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:10 am »
as soon as i get my camera back im gonna do another stone tool build along.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 09:22:53 am »
wow so many eplies :D

so many bow makers...

If we were to be completely open, honest and expressive, every person that frequents this bow forum would share a different story, different perspective, different conclusion. Most would have similar elements, otherwise they would not be on this site. We are much more alike than we could ever be different (at least in bow making).
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 11:38:27 am »
Go to MOJam and look for the biggest pile of osage scrap. It will be piled around the bandsaw.

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 07:20:42 pm »
When I first stared making bows I wanted to do a bow strictly by primitive methods. Had a knapper friend make me some tools of stone and I went at it. Was actually surprised at how fast i made a serviceable bow. The main thing is I satisfied my desire to do so. Last i heard it's still a free country, do what you want to do as far as tools, primitive or electric. This craft is a personal one. I do it to satisfy my love of working with wood. I use a bandsaw a lot. It saves time and sweat, especailly now with the temps in the 90's and the humidity right there also. And if the notion strikes me I've still got the rock tools handy.  I like the recent post about the scraps around the bandsaw at Mojam. It says it all.   SW

Offline volarion

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 07:23:46 pm »
Im really loving all the different replies Im getting also he different ways of thought help me get a feel for what "should" and "shouldnt" be done (as far as making a bow britle etc)

Offline Frode

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 11:35:31 pm »
Well, I'm pretty late to this party, and what everyone else has said pretty much covers it, but I can give you a tiny bit of my own experience.  As a beginner with maybe a dozen board bows under my belt, including a couple in the corner of shame (when did that show up?!  :o), I started out with all hand tools, because that's all I had, and I wanted to make sure I like this well enough to keep doing it (shaa, right!).  As someone with no wood working skills or experience, it made me pay attention to the wood, and what it wanted to do.  I've since added a belt sander, which I use a little bit more with each bow, and I'm lusting after a band saw, but till that day comes, my plane works just fine.
I just started working on my first osage stave, and amazingly, when you rasp and file down through the dry, tough sapwood and hit the heartwood beneath, the sound and feel of the tool in your hand changes, from a dead, choked, fuzzy exertion, to a singing skating sensation as the tool glides across the harder wood.  And, of course, there's the sight of that beautiful golden grain appearing under your hand with every stroke of the tool.

One way's not better than the other, that's just where my head is these days  :D.

If you haven't yet actually picked up a tool, there may still be time to run away, but I suspect that it's far to late for that, so welcome to our collective addiction!
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline NTD

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 11:46:56 pm »
"I just started working on my first osage stave, and amazingly, when you rasp and file down through the dry, tough sapwood and hit the heartwood beneath, the sound and feel of the tool in your hand changes, from a dead, choked, fuzzy exertion, to a singing skating sensation as the tool glides across the harder wood.  And, of course, there's the sight of that beautiful golden grain appearing under your hand with every stroke of the tool."

I know what you mean Frode.  I have to say that I love the bow Ipe makes but I can't stand working it.  On the other hand working with osage is such a beautiful thing.  It truly is a joy running a scraper over that yellow gold and the way a shaving curls up.  It makes me giddy.
Nate Danforth

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 02:55:11 am »
I can't answer for bows, but I can for arrows. I don't use power tools for arrows because:

a.) I'm in an townhouse and no room for power tools.

b.) Too cheap to buy power tools for something I can do with hand tools.

Yes, a Tru-Center taper tool isn't exactly "primitive" as I'm not aware of any that are archaelogical artifacts. But, boy, when tapering ash shafts with it, you sure can get your exercise in hand strength!

There's other things to consider besides power tools:

1.) Did you use electric lights while making the bow with stone tools? Subtract ten points for that.  ;D

2.) Did you use electric heat or gas heat while making the bow with stone tools?

I dunno. The major point is making the bow and shooting it. Anyone who can make a bow, power tools or not, is doing something majorly outstanding in my book! I have yet to make a bow myself. Someone who has the skill to turn out a selfbow or backed bow, those guys are  ntrue craftsmen no matter what tools they use!
Living a dream...

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 07:31:03 pm »
To this day I still haven't used a drawknife or a scraper to make a bow.  I think I might get some just to hang on the wall.   ;D

Yes, power tools are OK.  My favorites are sanding tools:  belt sander, disc sander, orbital sander, etc....

Someday I will make a bow with stone tools.  But for now, I do like the power tools, especially for kids bows and gift bows.  For my own bows, I like to take my time, however.

When I got a bandsaw I thought, "Yeah, this works OK, but it's kinda boring".  When I finally made the investment in the best bandsaw blades I could buy and took the time to fine tune the saw, I said to myself:

"DANG!! THIS IS THE GREATEST TOOL EVER INVENTED BY MANKIND!".

Man, what a difference a good tool makes!  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr