Author Topic: are power tools evver acceptable???  (Read 12804 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: are power tools evver acceptable???
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 09:20:09 pm »
I've made bows with the whole spectrum from sharp rocks to power tools, and enjoyed the process every way I've done it so far. I do find that the part of bowmaking that I enjoy least is roughing out a stave and getting rid of all that excess wood that was inconsiderate enough to grow around my bow. I absolutely love that bandsaw for getting all the excess off, then I enjoy using my handtools to actually make the bow once I get it roughed out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 10:56:17 pm »
The only problem with power tools is that they remove wood quick, fast and easy and that's great for the expert who knows where that bow lies. Not so good for the beginner who most likely take off too much wood too fast. That's why I said beginners should use hand tools for a few bows. It's not a matter of what is appropriate or not. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 10:56:10 pm »
...the part of bowmaking that I enjoy least is roughing out a stave and getting rid of all that excess wood that was inconsiderate enough to grow around my bow.

That's the part I enjoy most.  Tillering is work to me, but the rough out stage is where my joy flows.  Pity we live so far apart...we'd have a pretty good partnership.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.