Author Topic: Broomstick bow/ Kieran's bow  (Read 9251 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Broomstick bow/ Kieran's bow
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »
The backstory:  I'm at Liquidation World, snooping through a bin of sturdy broomsticks.  Wife:  "You're looking for one to make a bow out of, aren't you."  Me:  "Uh...."

My builder friend Eric suggests the wood may be maple.  I really don't know for sure.  The bow is 17#@21", and if memory serves, is 46" T2T.  After I confirmed that the broomstick could be tillered, I wondered what to do with it.  I decided to give it to the kid a few doors down, just because he's friendly and always greets me through the screened window when I walk by and he's careful and gentle with my little wiener dog.  So I grabbed some underspined straightened tomato stakes and made him some arrows too.  Moulted goose feathers, and painted chopstick blunts.

Kieran was having trouble keeping the arrow on the string, so his sister stepped in for the "full" draw shot:

I have a video of Kieran giving it the ol' college try, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i8n5tNzSvw

And a video of me trying her out myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFytmLl74iM
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gmc

Re: Broomstick bow/ Kieran's bow
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:15:28 pm »
Nice story, love the bow and the arrows. Thanks for posting.
Central Kentucky

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:38:29 pm »
Very cool. I love seeing the kids faces when they get a bow.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:50:32 pm »
                                   Nice Bow...and great Gesture....Kids are what We make of them...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:50:31 pm »
Great way to make a kid's bow! And I love the design on the back.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:52:22 pm »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys!  And for not mentioning the "tiller", haha.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 11:01:50 pm »
Cool bow Zen!  That's what I love about this site, everyone is doing their part to keep this tradition alive by passing it on to children.  Got your bow bookmarked for August Self Bow of the Month too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:32:16 am »
Whats the wife sweep the floor with now ?  O:) Great job!!! Denny

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:29:49 pm »
Yeah, but anyone can shoot a critter if you put it in box first. ::)
Just kiddin' nice little bow. Good to se kids playin' like they should!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:22:20 pm »
Good job Garrett.  Knowing a bit about where you live, and if I can judge the circumstances, I'll bet that gesture on your part means a lot to that boy, his sister and his mom.

Well done Sir.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:00:34 pm »
Great idea for a kids bow and a very nice gesture.  I'm sure you made that kids day. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:10:01 pm »
Very nice bow,and what a great gift.He'll never forget it,or you either. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 11:05:51 pm »
Thanks guys!  I appreciate the generous words.  I only hope the equipment survives until Kieran matures to the point he can actually shoot!

Offline Diligence

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 11:24:32 pm »
That's the great thing about DIY or home made equipment....you can always make more!

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 12:44:53 am »
Very true, but I'm moving back to MB in a month, so he'll need to find somebody else to repair/replace his kit.