Author Topic: Power Wash the Bark Off!  (Read 20273 times)

Offline Dane

Re: Power Wash the Bark Off!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 08:02:57 pm »
Dane,
You get a lot of splash-back with this method.   :o  You may want to give the rain gear a try. 

J. D. Duff

I think it was Thoreau who warned against having to acquire new clothing for a job? First, I don't own rain gear, and second, us humans are waterproof. Besides, you Northwesterns probably all have rain togs just to live there.

Seriously, when I got my power washer last year, I was cleaning the deck, and made some nice grooves in a teak table, so you do have to be careful. I would have signed the top of the table, but my the wife would have killed me.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

duffontap

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 08:45:11 pm »
Yeah, around here we call rain gear 'clothes.'  Thoreau wasn't a volunteer fireman was he...?

J. D. Duff

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 08:55:34 pm »
Tom Sawyer, where I grew up the local veneer mill routinely soaked their logs in ponds to loosen the bark. A time honored method.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 10:50:33 pm »
Yeah, around here we call rain gear 'clothes.'  Thoreau wasn't a volunteer fireman was he...?

J. D. Duff

No, I don't think so, though he was pretty clever making stuff with his hands. I think he may have made a good bow maker.

I've visted Walden Pond, pretty cool, and tromped about looking for his hut site. I never did find it. Right now, there is a big fight to save some of the woods from becoming a soccar field for a local school who owns part of the woods the poet hung about in. As usual, "progress" may mean losing something forever.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline heavybow

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 06:23:41 am »
JD yes 120 rings per inch should make a nice bow marlon ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 09:57:47 am »
If I put a log in my pool it wouldn't matter if the bark came off or not,I wouldn't get to use it cause my wife would kill me.That is a cool Idea JD.I am like Pat,wonder if it would work on wood like Hickory.I have always heard you could put in a warm shower and would make it easier but
like the pool idea I would get killed.I just cut mine in the Spring and early Summer. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

duffontap

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 03:48:28 pm »
Marlon,  ;D ;D.

Pappy,
I try to cut my white wood mostly in the summer too.  There are times though when it takes me a couple days or even weeks to strip it and I think I will use the power washer in such cases now.  I do know that keeping the stave wet will help a lot.  As far as the swimming pool goes--I guess we'll just have to find a more courageous swimming pool owner.   ;D

J. D. Duff

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 06:26:59 am »
Ya JD,my wife lets me get away with a lot,but I think that would put her over the edge.
I am kind of hen pecked you know. ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

duffontap

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 03:54:11 pm »
Oh I know!  I think almost all of us have extremely understanding wives or we wouldn't be in this at all.  When we bought our house a few years ago my wife volunteered a promise to never try to park a car in our garage.  It's all mine.  What a gal!

J. D. Duff