Author Topic: tru oil  (Read 18741 times)

Offline Jesse

tru oil
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:11:45 pm »
what is the secret with Tru oil I tried and tried and tried but I cant get a decent looking finish. It always comes out with streaks or sags or dull spots. I cant get a nice flawless finish. Ive tied using just a little, using a lot, using my finger, using a rag,nothing works for me. Please help Ive used almost a whole bottle on one bow. I'm sick of buffing it off over and over.    Thanks
                                  Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

Re: tru oil
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 10:54:10 pm »
Jesse, I wonder if its the bottle you have because I can't think of anything else from what you mentioned. I have used tru oil a handfull of times with no problem.. I just wiped it on...

Rich

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 11:16:55 pm »
Hmm, I've never had that problem with Tru-oil. I apply it with my finger - usually between 9-10 coats. The last coat I wet sand with 600 grit, then rub with fine steel wool and finally with oil and pumice. The finish always turns out beautiful.
Gordon

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:52:22 pm »
Thanks I dont know what Im doing wrong. Sounds easy enough. Do you use realy light coats each time or get the whole bow oiled up good? Ijust cant get the oil on thin enough for it to look smooth and by the time I try to smooth it out its allready all sticky and just gets worse and worse. lol I will try again tomorrow.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 12:02:51 am »
  Jesse,Try sticking your finger in the bottle and rubbing it on the wood.Like starting at one end and pushing ,like a Squeegee down the wood till your finger is dry.Just get all the wood wet,not thick.
   It will dry faster this way.And then just keep repeating.Put on thin layers.The more thin layers the smoother the finish.
    I like to steel wool with 000 wool lightly between each layer.If you put it on thick you will never sand the ripples out without stripping it down.This stuff is misleading ,It's not oil but a Poly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 12:04:16 am »
After the first application I use light coats. I've never had a problem with stickiness while spreading with my finger. Tru-oil has a working time of about 5 minutes - that should be plenty to create a thin film with your finger.
Gordon

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 12:44:31 am »
Jesse, I've used tru oil for years. The only problems I've had are when I tried to put on a coat that was too heavy,and when the tru oil got older it starts to crystalize. Those crystals can get into the finish if your not careful. I put on 6-8 light coats works great...Chris

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:44:53 am »
Hmmm! Whats the temperature in your work shed? If its too low it will not form right on the bow as a finnish. I know this from experience.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:54:21 am »
Good thought David. i didn't even think of that and it will definitely make a difference.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 12:58:59 am »
Yep! Chris I had that trouble with some other finnishes too. I stuck the tru oil next to a heater and it thinned up quick and then when the shed was at a better temp it went right on without a broblem. Also had trouble with a number of other finnishes too doing the same thing. They can be really temp sensitive. Check on the bottles and they should tell you the temp range to be used in.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 01:03:19 am »
I had some problems early on, so i started doing the fishes in the house in winter. That's one reason i use tru oil so much, low fumes. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 01:21:10 am »
I have had Tru-Oil go bad and start clumping up. Now I pour some in a small shallow container and reseal the bottle. I work with what has been poured out and if any is left, I do not pour it back in the bottle.
   I have used Tru-Oil for a long time and most of the time I have no problems. Humidity will prevent it from setting so it stays sticky longer.  The first coat on bare wood is usually heavier but after that, the thinner the better and with a rub down with 0000 steel wool between coats. Work from the handle out the limb and when done, sight down the limb while pointing it to a light source. This will show you where you might have missed.
  I have always used a finger to apply. I sealed 6 hardwood shoots tonight with Tru-Oil. These will be my 3D arrows. Tru-Oil is good stuff. Keep trying. You might try a fresh bottle.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 01:44:33 am »
I think temp could be the problem.its at like 55 deg. It has been getting very tacky on me in less than one minute. I will try putting it by the heater next time. I think I am also using too much. I was getting frustrated as Im sure you could tell. That never helps either. Thanks

Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

330bull

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 02:29:58 pm »
Don't be frustrated!  I LOVE Tru Oil.  Here's my experience with Yew & Vine Maple:

All coats are applied by hand and I gently stroke the bow until it starts getting tacky.  That's when you know it has been spread out enough, and more importantly not too thick.

After each coat I hit it with 0000 steel wool.

After the 6th coat, I hit it with 400 grit sand paper (very lightly).

I apply two more light coats and once again stroke the bow until it gets tacky, also with 0000 steel wool in between coats.

After the final coat, I hit it with 0000 steel wool, and then 3-6 coats of Carnauba (SP?) floor wax and it you are done!  The final coat looks like liquid glass and all of the tiny imperfections are removed.  Very nice!

Good luck.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 03:39:30 pm »
Ya know there is a new Polypro hand rub finnish out these days. I think I might try it. Seems like tru oil takes way too much time to build up layers that will last, especially on arrows.