Author Topic: Dressed for success!  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Dressed for success!
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:00:56 pm »
This is a walnut selfbow I am just finishing up for my dad for this fall season. I really wanted it to be unbacked but as I was nearing final tiller a little splinter rose up just out of the upper limb fade. I glued and clamped it down and then shot it for awhile and it held but as this was for my dad I wanted to be sure of it's longevity so I found a silk tie my wife doesn't like and used it for backing. Oh I also chased a ring on this one and that may be the last time I try to chase a ring on walnut. Took me forever! That may be why the splinter lifted but I can't tel for sure.
Stats are 67" tip to tip 66" ntn 47#@28" but I tillered it to 53#@30".
I will be adding a handle wrap and some hide on the shelf but I need to see what dad wants.
Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Dressed for success!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:05:31 pm »
Very nice!
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 03:07:23 pm »
Cool bow!  Like the tie backing and the name of the bow! LOL.   :) Tiller looks great as well as the flipped tips.  Got your bow bookmarked for August Self BOM
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline kerryb

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »
looks great,  bet your dad will be very happy with it.
Milan Mo

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:34:21 pm »
A silk tie!!! Brilliant!  :o
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 06:20:40 pm »
  I like that!!!  i have  to  try  wallnut someday!!!   could  you  tell me  how  you  did  the  silk ?   I like the  way you ended before the  tips and would like to know  how  thats  done  good  job!!!!  JEFF W

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:08:45 pm »
Nice. Its good to hear you were able to save it. I would love to try to make a walnut bow with both sap and heartwood showing. How easy is it to work?

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:16:03 am »
Thanks for all the comments guys.
Jeff; the silk I just laid on with titebond 3. I sized the back first then started at the handle I stretched it toward the tip.
Ryoon; walnut is a great wood to work. It replies to tools well and smells kind of good to me. Some people have a reaction to walnut so be careful. I would suggest using the ring under the bark as it seems a little more tension strong than the heartwood but the difference is marginal. If you can find a stave with just a small amount of sapwood that would look best.  This one had a out two inches of sapwood so I decided to chase a ring down to one ring of sapwood. It ended up being a ring of both dark and light wood similar to what you might see on an ERC. Make sure with walnut that you leave it plenty wide and keep the belly as flat as possible.
Mark
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:38:23 am by commadore »
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:54:09 am »
yeah, that's much nicer as a bow backing than a tie!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 07:30:35 am »
Good looking bow,he should love that,nice save.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 02:07:00 pm »
On the pic with the handle, I have had trouble (twice now) seeing the back of the bow. It takes a second to figure out what I'm looking at.
Nice camo!

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 02:39:50 pm »
Good work! Nice save.

Offline maddog314

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 10:23:44 am »
Hey Brother love your bow. Dad is going to love it. I cannot wait to see it up close and personal. that tie looks awesome as camo

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 12:53:15 am »
Micah! Glad to see you on here. Welcome! These guys on this forum will be able to help you learn way more than I can so be sure to ask questions.
Every one else thanks for looking and I think dad will like it.
Mark

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 11:52:26 pm »
Always thought it would be cool to back a bow with one of those silk ties with the hula girl hand painted on it.  Guess I wasn't too far out in left field, or at least I wasn't quite alone out there!

Nice work!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.