Author Topic: Need ATLATL info  (Read 3527 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Need ATLATL info
« on: August 31, 2010, 08:42:25 pm »
Good day all one of my recsent adventures is working with the atlatl and being new to it I wanted to know if someone would bekind enough to share any plans or pics of making or an existing atlatl... If its a pic if u can give me a close up would be nice!  I can make the darts no problem its the hand part the atlatl so many ways shapes and designs...Im simple just want it to work.  This is the start of the next big push for us here in NY to gettin itlegilized for hunting.  I have a lot of interested folks and I want to help them all.  Thanks for yourtime!

Russell H.
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline lowell

Re: Need ATLATL info
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »
I like to trade.. ;) if you would be interested in a book...let me know what you would trade for??

[attachment deleted by admin]
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:34:07 pm »
they really arent that hard to make.  my favorite one ive made so far is the simplest one too.  its just a piece of river cane that was kinda bent over.  then i hot glued a wooden spur on it, then just wrapped the handle portion with some leather.  my experience, make them as light as possible!  it will be a good work out if you make them heavy lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:46:56 pm »
No need to overcomplicate an atlatl unless you're trying to make a replica. You can throw a dart a hundred yards with a stick with a branch stub left on it. Check out this thread:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13190.0.html

Lots of different styles of atlatls work well. I'm kind of partial to the simple basketmaker style:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:02:54 pm »
Thanx guys I know it shouldt be too complicated Hillbilly can u give me a close up of the spur end???  I saw a video on making a similar type... As far as making a trade I have only arrowheads, flint, some miscilaneous stuff I love books!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 03:48:00 am »
Frank from Germany...

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:27:35 am »
Thanx for the info!  I made one from a solid piec of wood and one I added a tip of deer tine on and I want to start over.  I'll try and keep u all posted! It sure is fun to launch them darts!

AncientArcher

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:52:04 am »
ive always thought it was fun to throw them.  just something ive notice, on your spur, i wouldnt leave the point of it in the middle, slop it downwards.  seems to release better
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 06:04:53 pm »
I will make one and post it here shortly

Thanks also I posted this in the wrong secion SORRY!

Russ

Offline lowell

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 11:17:59 pm »
ancient....Was wondering how you were doing on making the points for our trade????  Lowell

Offline lowell

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 02:57:20 pm »
Russ,

WOW!!!!! :o  Just got the points and they far and away exceeded my expectations!!   Thanks much, Lowell