Author Topic: "shield-splitter" /Early Vikiing shield Archeological specifications added  (Read 27144 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: "shield-splitter" /Early Vikiing shield Archeological specifications added
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 12:39:38 am »
somebody get these guys a tape measure !

Offline stickbender

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 02:12:17 am »
     Erik, I beg to differ on the No stone artifacts were found in Newfoundland.  I Can't remember where I saw it, but it could have been the history channel, science channel, national geographic, etc. but one of them showed a couple of spear blades, and a knife blade made out of Nephrite, a type of jade, which is extremely hard, and durable.  The blades were in the Viking styles, and were ground and highly polished.  No, I am not an expert.  I don't believe I have stated so.  Are you?  I didn't mean to step on your tail.   :o
     I have seen this article a few years back.  And they were found  in the Viking ruins in Newfoundland.  Whether these blades were used as weapons, or not, I don't know.  But to go to all that trouble to grind a chunk of nephrite, and shape it, and polish it, I would think it would be used.  Nephrite is extremely hard stuff. It is found in Newfoundland, and Canada.  How the blades were ground and shaped I have no idea.  But they were found among other artifacts.  As to how I know it was a Viking skull, I am taking the word of Claude Van Order, who was at the museum in Denmark, and it was listed as a viking skull.  So I wasn't in on the archaeological dig, and have no idea of how the museum, knows it was a viking.  I will take their word till it is disproved by some other archaeologist down the road, with newer techniques, and scientific information. ;)  I am sure the museum can explain how they know it was a viking skull.  If I ever hit the power ball, I will personally go there and ask them.  Hell, I will even take you along also.  They can answer a lot of questions.  Do you speak Danish?  That would be a big plus. ;D

Wayne

Offline aero86

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »
wayne, if you win the power ball, please take me!  thats the motherland for me!  and we'd have to stop in the netherlands too, thats the other motherland! lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 03:34:40 am »

Good, you can be the interperter! ;D  If I win, you're in! ;)

Wayne

crwilson12

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 10:59:21 am »
not sure of the timeline of the viking skull with the stone point in it but is it possible he sailed to N.A got shot by a native but lived to sail back to his homeland with the point in his head?

Offline aero86

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 04:09:53 pm »
crwilson12, that hurts just thinking about it! lol

alright, did you win yet? i still have vacation left  haha
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 11:31:20 pm »

The trip is on hold at the moment.  Just got back from Publix, and both the Lottery, and Powerball tickets, were not a winner!  :( :'( Well, I don't know of any N.A. triangular points, not that there couldn't be, but there are people who have had bigger objects lodged in their heads.  Like the guy, in the early 1900's who had a connecting pin from a sky scrapper that was being built, fall, and hit him in the head, and it was stuck out the top, and bottom of his head, and he lived! :o Actually his picture is on the Ripley's posters, and books. On ER in Texas, or somewhere, it had a guy, who had a bowie knife stuck in his head.  He lived also! :o
Well I will try my luck again, next week.  8)  The triangular point works well for head shots.  Especially on pigs.  Just ask Mullet! ;D

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 11:39:00 pm »
Someone shot Mullet in the head with a triangular stone point?

Waste of a good piece of knapping, if you ask me.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 11:44:07 pm »

I don't think even a triangular point would penetrate that head! ;D :o  I would imagine Kathy, has smacked him in the head so many times he has built up a protective layer of callouses on it! Sort of like a boar's fighting sheild. ;D ;D

Wayne