Author Topic: arrow rest  (Read 14360 times)

Offline billmac

arrow rest
« on: April 14, 2007, 10:29:48 pm »
Does anyone use a cut-in arrow rest on self bows?  Experiences?  Tips?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: arrow rest
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 11:45:29 pm »
I've built up arrow rest but don't like cutting into the handle area of a my self bows. I like a small bulbous handle any way and a cut in shelf wouldn't work with that.
I try to keep my wood bows simple. A shelf isn't necessary so I don't use one.  ;)  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:42:57 am »
I have cut a 3/8" shelf into a bulbous handle just above my hand.  My hands are fairly big so I have plenty of wood to spare on the handle.  Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 06:48:56 am »
I usually glue a rest on.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 09:01:06 am »
Yes. Theres no mystery here, you can cut a selfbow clear to center shot safely if you leave enough thickness not to bend. I have done it more than not. Some here are not a fan of the way it looks, not as primitive as a built up shelf. I have also just cut the arrow pass close to center shot and added a glued on shelf.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 10:22:31 am »
I don't cut in shelves either usually. If you do make sure the handle is not bending at all or the consequences will be dire. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

MattE

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 10:23:51 am »
No problem at all with a deep handle section but with a small round handle be careful! One way I make a small shelf for a arrow rest on small handle bows is to make a short pyramid piece of leather on top of my handle wrap, this is all one piece of material. I can roll the pyramid piece up and under the handle piece of leather.It being thin and pointed it tapers nicely and looks ad works great. You may want to roll it up and glue it down before you start to put it on. ...... Personally I had rather shoot off my hand.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 01:53:29 pm »
I don't like cut-in shelfs. I do not like them, Sam I Am.  :) I usually glue on a small leather rest, or shoot off my hand.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 03:32:55 pm »
.............With Steve on this. Further don't even like built up leather shelves. Shoot off hand (knuckle )..........end of story. ;) ;D..bob

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 05:31:24 pm »
Bob, you shot off your hand? That must have hurt big time! :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 05:55:10 pm »
Of course you shouldn't be offended by that.  If I didn't like you I wouldn't give you a hard time.  But if it did offend you, I am sorry.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 07:48:59 pm »
 I usually cut a shelf or build a rest.I can't shoot an arrow off my knuckle without wearing a glove.It hurts to the point of distraction.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 08:02:47 pm »
Play nice guys or or do you need a time out ;)

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

brokennock

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 10:56:29 pm »
depends on the bow design. I like cut in shelves, but I've only come close to center shot with deep hadled ipe bows. I often combine cut in and built up/glue on shelves. If the handle/riser has enough meat I'll cut in most of the thickness of and arrow deep then glue on a somewhat preshaped wood or pig horn (the "toenail" pieces you can buy in a pet store) rest. Then I radius the top and finish shaping the handle/rest area.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 12:15:03 am »
I don't cut in shelfs, I do glued up leather rests that I glue on the bow and fur strike plates.
VB