Author Topic: A very bizzare bowyers track record  (Read 9337 times)

Offline YewArcher

A very bizzare bowyers track record
« on: April 15, 2007, 02:04:23 pm »
In the last year I have made more bows then I can count. 100+ who knows. Anyways, I have a very bizare track record for bow breaks. Meaning I have in the history of my bow making only broken 3 bows. 3rd one this morning. Now what is truly bizzare about this is:

1. Yew elb with very very tight growth rings. Perfect canidate for a heavy long draw bow. 75". First time back to 32" ka-pow!

2. Sinew backed osage bend through the handel. 54" great bow shot her for along time. One day just ka-pow!

3. This morning. Fine tillering anorther sinew backed Osage. 55" bend through the hande. Drew her back to 26" and crack.

That my freinds is a bizzare list of broken bows. I have piles of red oak. cherry, hhb, hickorys, Osage, sinew backed osage, yew etc....on and on bows buildt and shooting all over the place and the 3 bows that I break are the 3 bow that are most un-likley to break!

Somone call Moulder and Scully. My bow breaks are truly x-files.

SJM
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:08:45 pm by YewArcher »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: A very bizzare bowyers track record
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 02:40:28 pm »
The fact that you have broke so few is X-files to me.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Minuteman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 07:21:46 pm »
You cut enough wood and yer bound to run into some thats contrary.

Offline Jbell

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 10:21:25 pm »
Three out of a hundred' that is pretty good if you ask me. Keep up the good work! ;)
Justin Blunt

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 11:27:13 pm »
100+ bows in one year...and only 3 broken?

I wish I had problems like yours  ;D
Gordon

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 10:05:03 am »
It is odd, especially the sinew-backed bows.  Where were the breaks and what do you think caused the failures?  It pays to analyze the failures, they tell you more than 10 good bows.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:36:59 am »
Sorry guys, my original post came off wrong. I was mentioning the numbers and the breaks to highlight that I have now broken 3 bows that are not supposed to break. Not that i have only broken 3 bows. My apolgies.

lennie,

Both sinew backed Osages broke in right below my hand. I  mean in the exact same spot on both bows. The bows where tillered well and had a very round style tiller. More round then a typical D because of the lenght. I can not really figure out why they would break in that spot. Both bows where truly unruly and fough the bow making process every step of the way. That may be a pointer. Some stave staves are just contraty.

Will post up some pics after the proer amount of greiving has been honered!  :

SJM

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 11:34:49 am »
OK! grieving is over :'(. Where are the pics?  ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snedeker

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 11:50:51 am »
Funnny thing about osage in particular.  Hidden flaws that will stand a fair amount of flexing to fool you.  I broke a very experimental silt backed osage this past weekend.  60" rigit handle deep rounded belly, edge grained piece, silk backed.  Had it near full brace height and test pulled and pow.  Very blunt angle fracture.

Dave

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 11:56:20 am »
Making selfbows is bizarre to begin with so nothing about it amazes me. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 11:40:25 am »
I have broke several my self and like jawge it is bizarre,the ones I think,this will never make it do
and others I think no problem break,I think sometimes we just don't take as much time and aren't as careful if it all looks good.I usually can figure out why it broke but it seems most times there
wasn't much I could have done about it.I never call them a bow and try not to get to attached to a piece of wood until it has proven itself.Saves a lot of heart break. :'( :'(
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 12:44:28 pm »
I never call them a bow and try not to get to attached to a piece of wood until it has proven itself.Saves a lot of heart break. :'( :'(
    Pappy
NOW that piece of advice was worth getting up for this morning.  I got attached to a nasty snakey piece of guava from Manny.  I had it all planned out. I even had the snakes picked out and the beaver tail dried and ready to go.  I had it to 28" last week when it blew. I'm still crying. I haven't even touched a stave since,except to work the back down on a couple. I have a laminated bow that is still sitting waiting to be glued up. I better quit getting attached.  :'( :'( Good thing chasing rings is therapeutic.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah