Author Topic: belly-tempered hickory pyramid  (Read 30858 times)

Dustybaer

belly-tempered hickory pyramid
« on: April 15, 2007, 03:04:04 pm »
here's my latest bow.  i mentioned it in the mass formula thread before.  it's 65" ttt and 64" ntn, draws #46@27" and shoots a 10gr/# arrow slightly over 150fps.  she weighs a little less than 18 ounces.  the silk backing is painted with a modoc inspired design.  she'll also get a raw-hide handle wrap, when i get to it ;D 

the outer third of the upper limb looks a little stiff, which it didn't a few days ago so i'm not sure why that is. oh, and she's very pleasant to shoot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dustybaer

Re: belly-tempered hickory pyramid
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 03:07:13 pm »
here are some details of the tip (a bamboo sliver wrapped with hemp) and the scorched belly.

and of course the hero-shot  ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 03:07:14 pm »
Great looking weapon, Marius. I like the diagonal handle, and the paint job looks good, too. Is hickory wood hard to find in Germany?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dustybaer

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 03:10:47 pm »
thanks hillbilly.  it's available as lumber, but not easy to find.  i usually get it from a stave dealer (almost sounds like something illegal)  ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 03:11:59 pm »
That handle is definitely cool.  I like it a lot.  The color scheme is pretty cool too. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 03:15:11 pm »
Marius, he doesn't hang out on street corners with a bunch of hickory boards and osage billets hanging from the inside of his long trench coat, does he?  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Dustybaer

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 03:17:34 pm »
thanks justin, but the handle is not my invention.  i once bought a roughed out stave from michele bombardier, a local bowyer and that stave had a handle like that.  i liked it so much that i've built it into this stave as well.  very spine-tolerant  ;D

hillbilly, you must have been to germany before  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 03:22:29 pm by Dustybaer »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 03:19:47 pm »
I doubt any of us actually invented most of the stuff we do. At best we may have re-invented it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 03:23:18 pm »
Nice Marius the handle design is something new to me, the paint is awesome.
I'll rest easier knowing hero's such as you are at large ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 03:50:45 pm »
Excellent bow Marius. I like every thing about it, especially the handle. Tiller looks good but the top limb looks a bit stiff. I really like hickory! Control the moisture, or manage it, and it is an excellent bow wood.
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 04:05:05 pm »
dana, i wish my shooting skills were those of a hero, 'cause the way i shoot right now i couldn't deffend diddly-squat  ;D

thanks pat, i appreciate it.

the tiller is a puzzle to me.  on these pics it looks right (at least to me)  ;D

i wonder if the silk backing did it.  these pictures were taken before the backing.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:09:28 pm by Dustybaer »

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 04:29:48 pm »
WOW ! love that color scheme . How does the handle feel to you when shooting. Does it alleviate some of the archers paradox problem a bit?  Looks pretty cool.

Dustybaer

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 04:47:42 pm »
rudderbows, it feels normal, really.  the spine tolerance is great though.  i shot arrows with 20 or more pounds difference in spine (but same weight) and they all hit in the same place.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 04:55:09 pm »
It's look really cool! :o :o

And she is a fine shooter 8)

Dustybaer

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 04:59:02 pm »
andrew, what do you say about the upper limb?  it didn't look like that when i was at your place.  the more i think about it, the more i believe it was the silk backing.  should i re-tiller it?