Author Topic: Need help Id'ing some logs  (Read 14692 times)

Offline Jbell

Need help Id'ing some logs
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:30:08 pm »
My dad works for IDOT and occasionally they clear trees near roads and such, well he brought these home for firewood. I was just wondering what you guys think they are. I have been to a couple of tree id sites but just can't figure it out cause of only having bark to go by. Pretty sure the one on the far right is Hackberry but that is about it. Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Justin Blunt

Offline Agbowyer

Re: Need help Id'ing some logs
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:50:57 pm »
I'm no expert, but I think in the last pic from left: Hackberry, Hickory or pecan, Pine, Oak and oak.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:18:32 pm »
The only thing I know for sure is they would make better bows than fires.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 12:10:40 am »
Hmmmm! Wood, wood, wood and wood! I know wood when I see it!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Jbell

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 12:14:03 am »
The middle log is pretty light, pretty sure it is Pine. The two on the right that Agbower says maybe Oak has a pretty large heart wood and a few rings of sapwood, I thought Oak was mostly sapwood? Really wish I had some leaves to help me out here. ???
Justin Blunt

Offline Jbell

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 12:17:46 am »
Hey thanks tiller, GOT WOOD!  :o
Justin Blunt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 12:33:41 am »
If that is pine, you can smell it. Looks like cherry to me. The first 2 could be hickory. The hack berry(sugar Berry) has corky protrusions on the bark.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

nailbender

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:59:50 am »
The two on the right look like oak to me. Oak has a pretty thin sapwood compared to heartwood.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 08:45:39 am »

Looking at the last picture, I would say the far left is hackberry, the next one is either hickory or locust, the third from the left is wild cherry, and the last two I'm pretty sure are sassafras.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 08:53:29 am »
Hard to say for sure on some of them without seeing/feeling/smelling them in person, but here's my stab at it-last pic l to r:
Hackberry or sweetgum; oak; definitely black cherry; sassafrass ; sourwood if you have it there, if not maybe chestnut oak.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 10:12:25 am »
One on left, definitely hackberry.  And I agree with Pat about the third one being cherry.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Minuteman

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 12:09:47 pm »
In the first two pics, I'd say: Sassafras , sassafras, cherry, maple or some kinda hickory maybe, but leaning towards maple and the hackberry is a no brainer. Ain't too many trees got bark like hackberry.
 Good haul . Get 'em sealed up quick. :)

duffontap

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 04:27:34 pm »
Judging from the pictures I would say they are all a score.   ;D

J. D. Duff

a finnish native

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 05:24:22 pm »
all others except the middleone witch is pine are good for bows. pine makes better firewood than bow wood. trust me, pine is the most usuall tree in finland and it sure makes good arrows, but not bows.

Minuteman

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 10:37:24 pm »
If ya use yer nose you can learn alot about wood. Sassafras smells like root beer , kinda, cherry has a sweet smell to it. And I'm pretty sure the one Finnish is saying is pine is cherry but I'd smell it and know if I were there.  Easier to ID when the leaves are on the tree and you have yer tree book with ya.