Author Topic: Need help Id'ing some logs  (Read 14671 times)

DCM

Re: Need help Id'ing some logs
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 10:43:23 pm »
Oak, particularly red oak, smells like cat pee, to me.

The one with the dark bark is cherry, not pine.  I'm guessing black gum on the one with greenish bark.  Oak on the other unknown.

nailbender

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 01:26:07 am »
Oak, when it is green, or wet, has a somewhat sour smell, especially when it is cut or split.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 01:37:43 am »
all others except the middleone witch is pine are good for bows. pine makes better firewood than bow wood. trust me, pine is the most usuall tree in finland and it sure makes good arrows, but not bows.
I can see exactly what you are saying. The bark on that center one looks exactly like Ponderosa pine.
I don't know what they are, but if I had to throw my hat in with someone it would be the horticulturalist, Hillbilly. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 08:49:02 am »
I'd also say pretty certainly that the middle one isn't pine, also looks to me like wild cherry. Justin, like everybody else said, it's hard to positively ID wood from a photo, it's a lot easier when you can see the grain up close and like several people mentioned, smell helps a lot. Plus, you've probably got trees in Illinois that we don't have here.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 09:18:19 am »
The middle one does look like red pine, should be easy to tell though. Pull some bark up see if
is pitchy like pine. But it also looks like BC.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 09:52:51 am »
I would guess its not pine, even without smelling it. I have never cut a live pine that didn't ooze pine gum out the end. That one is clean. And a ponderosa almost always has streaks of pine gum running down the outside.  You would know it was pine from touching it, you would be all sticky. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 10:04:33 am »
Iam with Greg on this one,at least without smelling it.Frrst is Hackberry 3rd is Cherry and last 2 Saff. I would bet.2nd one not so sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Jbell

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 07:13:46 pm »
  Thanks alot for all your responses. I have pretty darn sure that i have Black cherry instead of pine, 2 sassafrass, Hackberry and do beleive that the second one from the left is Pin Oak(I think!). 

Anyone got any comments or suggestions about these becoming bows? Have'nt worked with alot of white wood besides Hickory,Sugar Maple and Black Locust. Thanks! Justin
Justin Blunt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 05:05:57 am »
This started to remind me of the old Cheech and Chong thing

Looks like dog poop, smells like dog poop, tastes like dog poop......

I was wiatin for someone to suggest ya taste the BC/pine log to confirm what it is  ;D ;D

DanaM

Don't think B. Locust is considered a white wood, don't ya have to remove the sap wood on it?

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jbell

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 08:36:03 am »
That's pretty funny Dana :D :D I totally agree with you that BL is'nt a white wood, don't know why some of us consider it a white wood, although one of my first selfbows was and all sapwood BL that still shoots til this day, super whiptillered and only an 1.25" wide, beats me how it survived. ???
Justin Blunt