Author Topic: New Hik Backed Cherry glue up..w/pics!!  (Read 9116 times)

Minuteman

New Hik Backed Cherry glue up..w/pics!!
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:46:44 am »
Here are the first pics that I've tried to post by myself. My wife typed up a tutorial for my un computer savy self to follow and we're gonna see if'n I can follow directions.
 These are just some pics of te bow on my new form I made over the weekend.
 Hope this works ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:51:13 am by Minuteman »

Offline DanaM

Re: New Hik Backed Cherry Long bow..w/pics!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:50:22 am »
Trying again eh ;D I see yer using Justins method with the blocks and rubberbands.
We're watching. Good Luck.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Minuteman

Re: New Hik Backed Cherry glue up..w/pics!!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:59:29 am »
Boy yer quick, DanaM.  Eeyup , trying again.Made the form Saturday and the blocks Sunday.
 Decided since this form was so well suited to it I'd put some deflex in the handle. Theres only about a 1/2" of deflex , don't know if it'll hold any of it after the glue is done or not. Guess I'll see. . I kinda guessed where I oughtta put the deflex clamps. I divided each limb roughly into thirds and put the clamp on the first third out from the handle on each one.Theres 2 1/2" of reflex in the outer portion of the limbs
 I'm just excited about being able tio post pics!!! Now I can get advice on tillering. Ya'll know I need it!

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 12:24:29 pm »
Here it is without the handle piece glued on and no tip overlays. Its sanded and rounded over on the back and the sides are trued up. Tapered the hikree from 1/8" in the middle foot er so to  1/16" at the tips.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 12:30:06 pm »
She's got nice curves ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 04:06:13 pm »
Looking good. Keep um coming.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 04:10:46 pm »
Great glue-up man!  That's looking promising.

J. D. Duff

Offline Jbell

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 09:39:14 pm »
Lookin good!  You need to break that new form in with a good splaterin of glue ;D btw your form looks great. Now get that stick tillered already! ;)
Justin Blunt

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 10:07:28 pm »
I like the curves.  I think it will be pretty when you get it done.  Now lets get that thing tillered.  How did you like the clamping method.  It goes pretty easy once you figure out what your doing doesn't it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Minuteman

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 10:51:19 pm »
Yeah Justin, It works great no problems with the glue lines at all. Only one spot that looked a little thicker than the rest and it was hardly even noticeable.
 Bad thing is that I inadvertantly glued it up with the limbs out of straight.  :-[ :(It wouldn't have been a big deal if there wasn't so much sideways in it. It looked like I'd cut one side out straight from tip to tip and tapered the ends from the handle out on the other side. Threw it on the trash pile. Don't post about the " cutting in the nocks farther one side" stuff, believe me, if it wasn;t terminal I woulda tried to save it.
  I have to have learned all the ways to mess up a laminated bow by now! I mean for goodnes sake! I feel like Pigpen or something here lately! I'm outta cherry and have very little hikree thats useable for backing left so I guess I'd better start on a self bow for the Classic.
 Sorry folks , I'll try again when I get some more cherry.
I'm not used to failure, 'course I suppose lately I've had plenty so I oughtta be used to it by now.
 Thanks fer the compliments on the form , It works well,just gotta devise a method to keep the limbs straight as I apply the rubber bands. It was straight when I started , just didn't stay there. ;D
 Live and learn I guess.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 10:57:41 pm »
Thats a bummer dude.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 04:44:10 am »
Well that sucks  :'( At least ya still have us eh. :)

DanaM

Manistique, MI

Minuteman

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 08:44:08 am »
Thanks guys.
 Justin, concerning the handle clamp being canted, I'm not sure it had anything to do with it or not. I do know that I inadvertantly pulled the limbs toward me as I put the bands on. I'm gonna install a stop on the center stack of plywood so I can mash the handle back against that, then measure out from there to the center of the handle. Then i can just take that out to the tips make my center line the same then clamp it down, making sure as I go it isn't wanderin' around.
  I was layin in bed last night , fumin, when I remembered how many aborted and broken bows it took me to get a shootable selfbow and I realized I just need to keep on keepin' on and I'd eventually get there.Sure has beeen a bumpy road though.

Offline Jbell

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 08:45:07 am »
Sorry to hear that, been there done that, better luck next time.
Justin Blunt