Author Topic: Need advice from the guitar players  (Read 6126 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Need advice from the guitar players
« on: August 26, 2010, 02:27:54 pm »
My 5 year old is pretty interested in music.  He's mentioned a few times (meaning multiple times per day) that he wants a guitar.  He loves playing with my old one at my parents' house, but it's just too big for him.  We're considering getting him one for Christmas, but I don't know where to look.  I don't want to buy him junk, but I can't afford to sink a lot into something he's inevitably going to outgrow.  Does anyone have any suggestions one where to find one?

Of course, the second part of the equation would be find someone patient enough to give lessons to a kindergartener.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Stoker

Re: Need advice from the guitar players
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:31:47 pm »
When I went to send my grandson to guitar lessons.The fellow told me that they don't take anybody under 8yrs old just because
of their size.Most kids are not big enough to handle a guitar.But he also said that keyboard lessons are good to learn the notes
then they can make the move from there.I do trust this fellow having put both my children through 12yrs of combined lessons.
The gift of music is one the greatest things you can give.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:36:23 pm »
Talk to Brian Irwin he plays guitar. He may know of an affordable guitar and maybe a teacher.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:38:11 pm »
i am a guitar teacher and i dont take any one till they are close to 8 because there attention span is so short but i think you can find a small sized guitar that he can play with till get gets a little bigger. there is a guitar called Washburn F1SK (Joey) Travel Guitar i have one they are the perfect size for a little one and they wont break the bank plus if he does continue to  play when he gets older he will have a travel guitar its a win win
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:04:14 pm »
Or, start him on a Uke, any size.  fingerings are like the four highest strings on a guitar.  Good way to start out. We've been selling lots of ukes lately.  piper

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »
Or, start him on a Uke, any size.  fingerings are like the four highest strings on a guitar.  Good way to start out. We've been selling lots of ukes lately.  piper

good idea piper ukes are good to start on also

Offline Irontom

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:26:05 pm »
This might draw a lot of flak but I feel is worth mentioning.

A guitar hero style game coming out soon will have an actual guitar.  If there is already an Xbox 360 in the house, could be a good investment. 

More info here

Anyway, it's called Powergig: Rise of the Sixstring.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:11:27 pm by Irontom »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55:59 pm »
Irontom, no commercial sites allowed on PA unless they are an advertiser on PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »
jonathan give me a call i know a place to get one thats not to high and pawn shops are full of them right now. and my grandfather started showing me at 5 if he wants to play let him.
bryan irwin

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 10:13:06 pm »
here is a free guitar lesson site that my friend has if you want to teach him some cool stuff with him being 5 he will learn faster if he learns with dad instead of some one els thats why most teachers dont teach 5 year olds

http://justinguitar.com/

gl i hope he sticks with it if you have any questions on what he learns just ask  i would be glad to help you, one thing that will be fun and easy is the notes of the neck its like learning the A,B,S's and then he will have a very important part of learning the guitar down  ;)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 01:07:48 pm »
Thanks for the advice everybody.  Bryan, I'll get up with you sometime on that place you're talking about.  He really likes music in general, so I think he'd be happy with anything.  I know I could teach him most of the basic chords, but it's been 15 years or so since I played, so that's about all I remember.  Plus, he seems to do better when other people teach him something.  I'll have to ask around and see if I can find anybody that would take him on.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 04:48:29 pm »
what state r u in if i was close i would help

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 09:04:24 am »
I'm in NC.  I appreciate it.
Cleveland, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 06:57:34 pm »
My most important piece of advice from someone who has been playing guitar for over 35 years and used to play for a living: DON'T BUY CHEAP JUNK FOR SOMEONE TO LEARN ON!!!! OK, I feel better now that I got that off my chest. ;D Nothing has killed more people's interest in learning to play guitar than trying to learn on a cheap unplayable piece of crap instrument that Eddie Van Halen couldn't play a song on if his life depended on it, but they're supposed to learn on it. Like Brian said, check the pawn shops and look for a decent used guitar of a good brand. You don't have to spend a fortune, but realistically if you want something playable you're going to be turning loose of at least a couple hundred bucks or more. Five may be a bit young, but you never know. I started playing when I was seven or eight. Another thing to think about: electric guitars are normally easier to play than acoustics, you can get a better quality electric for the money than you could an acoustic; plus they're just a whole lot more fun for a kid to learn on. It's a simple thing to learn that first barred "power chord," but it sure sounds a lot better with an electric and a nasty, distorted tone and will keep their interest up much longer than the same thing played on an acoustic.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 10:53:48 am »
My most important piece of advice from someone who has been playing guitar for over 35 years and used to play for a living: DON'T BUY CHEAP JUNK FOR SOMEONE TO LEARN ON!!!! OK, I feel better now that I got that off my chest. ;D Nothing has killed more people's interest in learning to play guitar than trying to learn on a cheap unplayable piece of crap instrument that Eddie Van Halen couldn't play a song on if his life depended on it, but they're supposed to learn on it. Like Brian said, check the pawn shops and look for a decent used guitar of a good brand. You don't have to spend a fortune, but realistically if you want something playable you're going to be turning loose of at least a couple hundred bucks or more. Five may be a bit young, but you never know. I started playing when I was seven or eight. Another thing to think about: electric guitars are normally easier to play than acoustics, you can get a better quality electric for the money than you could an acoustic; plus they're just a whole lot more fun for a kid to learn on. It's a simple thing to learn that first barred "power chord," but it sure sounds a lot better with an electric and a nasty, distorted tone and will keep their interest up much longer than the same thing played on an acoustic.

well sed steve i have seen it a million time a student had a bad guitar and they quit playing. once you get a nice guitar for the wee one try to put some .08 gauge string set on it for him its the smallest gauge they make that will help his little fingers and another trick is when his fingers start to hurt soak the tips in rubbing alcohol it will harden his fingertips so they wont hurt as bad