Author Topic: How much can you get back?  (Read 5343 times)

Offline billmac

How much can you get back?
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:45:54 am »
So if a bow turns out underweight and /or takes a set, I've read that you can reflex / recurve it.  Typically how much draw weight can you regain by doing this?  Does heat treating the belly help?  (or is using heat to reflex the belly essentially heat treating it?)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How much can you get back?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 11:52:20 am »
Bill, it depends on the amount of set and why it took on the set. Basically set is due to colapsed belly wood cells. In many cases by recurving or inducing reflex, you do more damage and you get more set or worst.  :o because you are adding to the stress the damaged area. I have not done any heat treating on bellies but(IMO) you would have better luck with it before the set occures.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

Re: How much can you get back?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:53:46 am »
Depending on the length  the easiest may be to cut a few inches off. Is the finished?
If so I imagine heating it will mess the finish up. If not reflexing could help, may have to adjust tiller some.
How much weight gain not sure.
I'd say just build another bow, yer going to anyway ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI