Author Topic: responsible hunter  (Read 14548 times)

kinkfeather

responsible hunter
« on: August 27, 2010, 04:18:43 pm »
their are hunters out there that believe the quickest way to success is the compound bow.they do not want to take the time or the energy to be a responisble hunter.we as primitive arcers are in all aspects of the hunt.we take the time an energy to make are own equipment.they believe if a shot at a deer out of their killing range take it an see if you can make the shot.they are not being a responsible hunter.if they wound a deer they will not take the time an energy to track it down.their are alot of people out their that do not know the consept of being a responsible hunter or they do not care.that is one reason i do not visit the archery shops during deer season too much bull crap going on.most archery shop now do not carry traditional equipment.my killing range 20 yds any thing over that is risky shot will not take it.i do not care if it is the biggest buck in the state.i am a meat hunter.the trophy to me is the meat an not what is setting on top of a deers head.i have found too many deer with their heads cut off that is sickening.i am so glad to be in the company of responsible hunters.kink

Cacatch

Re: responsible hunter
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 05:10:23 pm »
Amen!  And I believe there are a lot of old timers, Native Americans and otherwise who rejoice from up above when they hear someone speak up who feels like we do in this day and age. 

CP

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:19:35 pm »
I think we need to be careful making generalized statements. I know a lot of guys who hunt all kinds of weapons who are among the most honorable hunters that ever lived. I have friends who shoot wood bows but wont hunt with them because they are more capeable with their compound, that is responsible. I also see nothing wrong with hunting for animals with big horns. Here we can only take one deer per year, and I will pass on small bucks often in hopes of getting a big buck. I have yet to shoot a big horned deer that has less meat than a baby.  ;)

Guys that take heads and leave the rest are poachers not hunters. They wouldn't be afraid to shoot it out of season any more than they would to leave the meat. They also wouldn't hesitate to use a rifle or crossbow during bow season, legal or not.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »
 I agree with Justin, I know some very good hunters that use Compounds also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

kinkfeather

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:44:42 pm »
but you would have to agree with me that we do have some bad hunters out there.i have not met a traditional bow hunter that was not a responsible hunter.too many people want to hunt antlers than meat.some hunters want to brag about what they have killed.some hunters believe that killing a big buck is the sign you are a better hunter.a responsible hunter will help manage wildlife.their are 2 different points of view here an i understand respect bolt.if i offended anyone that was not my intention.i was just speaking of my experences.if you noticed i said some hunters we that offends any body so be it . ;D kink

kinkfeather

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:08:08 pm »
i think it is getting close to deer season.i see the buck fever poping out all over the place. ;D kink

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:51:57 pm »
I do hear what you are saying, kink. While, like Justin said, plenty of compound hunters are responsible, a goodly portion are less than admirable. But then take the traditional/primitive crowd, and you'd be hard pressed to find an 'unethical' hunter among them. Probably goes with the nature of being willing to take the time to make your own equipment, etc.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline woodstick

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 11:28:23 pm »
i have known some trad hunters that dont need to hunt at all. they dont know their limits. same goes for guns, wheel bows, and all. there is good and bad in all, you just gota be the best you can. i got a new wheel bow this year after forever with a stick and string, but i have some deer on this ranch i run that is in the 180,s several in 150,s , iam a better shot with the compound at 40 yards. wont shot past 20 with my sticks, and i like the horns. as far as meat i do d-map get bout 50 to 60 extra doe tags this year. we got way to many 11 to 1 doe to buck. way i look at it as long as your in the woods with what ever you choose to hunt with thats better than out doing dope or stealing, ect....... good hunting and luck to all.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 11:34:18 pm »
all good points-Bottom line is ethics and honor no matter what weapon you choose to carry.While afield there is usually never a judge or jury to warrant your actions.It,s all up to YOU!have a great day and good luck to all this fall-Lloyd

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 11:58:15 pm »
The people warning you of generalizations are right. 

I just came back from a weekend event where I was deeply offended by a primitive hunter talking about shooting deer in people's front yards and leaving the gutpile, he laughed about it and said it was really funny to watch someone's bigscreen tv thru their big picture window while he was gutting the deer.  And this was not some anonymous peon, this is a guy that has appeared on the cover of PA, has had numerous articles in the magazine, and yet doesn't understand the most basic tenets of ethics.  Hate to have to say it, but don't lump us all in one category just because we are on this website, subscribe to the PA, or pen articles for the magazine. 

Let it be known I will not shoot with this person, hunt with this person, or even have my picture taken with him in the frame. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 12:34:10 am »
 Also, everybody has a different Idea about Ethics. Some people prefer eating deer with spots because they are tender and wouldn't bother shooting a Monster 12 point buck. And then say he was an Ethical Hunter because he was shooting small, tender, just enough meat for him,  deer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 12:52:26 am »
Also, everybody has a different Idea about Ethics. Some people prefer eating deer with spots because they are tender and wouldn't bother shooting a Monster 12 point buck. And then say he was an Ethical Hunter because he was shooting small, tender, just enough meat for him,  deer.

i see nothing wrong with that
i dont eat a lot of venison,but do like a little
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

kinkfeather

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 01:41:58 pm »
i apologize to this web site for using general  statements. was not my intention to offend anyone.i will be careful in the future. a hunter using compound bows,guns,crossbows can be a responsible hunter too.i hunt for the meat so i have a one sided view. i feed 3 families an need the meat.i do not think i am better than any one else.i hope no one believes that if they do they are wrong.we all have to stick together or we could loose our hunting rights.maybe i was a moron on this issue.i apologize to each an every one.their are times when words can not be taken back.i hope this is not one of those times.kink

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 02:32:44 pm »
No worries, Kink. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 03:03:04 pm »
i apologize to this web site for using general  statements. was not my intention to offend anyone.i will be careful in the future. a hunter using compound bows,guns,crossbows can be a responsible hunter too.i hunt for the meat so i have a one sided view. i feed 3 families an need the meat.i do not think i am better than any one else.i hope no one believes that if they do they are wrong.we all have to stick together or we could loose our hunting rights.maybe i was a moron on this issue.i apologize to each an every one.their are times when words can not be taken back.i hope this is not one of those times.kink
I appreciate the gesture, but there really is no need to apologize. I don't think you meant to offend, just maybe didn't understand all of the implications of what you were suggesting. There are a lot of loser's in this world, and a lot of good people. I prefer not to associate those who waste game with real hunters. They are few in number but give all of us a bad name. Having said that, all of us hunters need to stick together to defeat the anti hunting anti game management groups. I have always been offended by a few local black powder hunters who attack bow hunters. Every time they attack the image of bowhunters they help the anti groups. We all stick together or we all go down together.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah