Author Topic: help! termites!  (Read 2635 times)

Offline blades7558

help! termites!
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:03:09 am »
i just got back into bowyering after a 5 month recess (school first... regrettably) and i started a beech flat bow blank. as i was chopping it to size i noticed that there are termite tracks under both ends of the board underneath the bark. i planned on using the bark as backing, which worked well for the last beech bow i made. what should i do with this? i put a few hours into sizing it up so i"d like to try and salvage it. i sprayed brakeleen into the tracks but i don't know how far into the wood they are or if they"re even still there. should i remove the bark and back it with something else?
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: help! termites!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:06:13 am »
I would defintely remove the bark and see how far the damage goes
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:06:21 am »
I am the king of tryin to beat a dead horse.
Definately remove the bark and see what you are dealin with...
I know how bad it feels to put work into something that you might have an idea that might not work....

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:39:38 am »
Remove the bark then burn any damaged wood. Make sure you remove the bark on the rest of your wood also. Burn any bad wood and spray the rest to keep the bugs out.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline blades7558

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:25:27 am »
ok i'll take the bark off tomorrow and see hoe bad it is. we have a pest control guy that comes to the house for ants and other critters ill have him spray around the trailer next time hes out. plus it looks like theres going to be a bon fire. defiantly don"t want these suckers getting into my dads wood shop which is conveniently 10 feet away. thanks!
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:31:00 am »
SMART MOVE!!!!

RON
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.