Author Topic: white ash hardness?  (Read 7656 times)

Offline snedeker

white ash hardness?
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:11:20 pm »
I'm workind down my first ash stave, cut Nov. 2005, 1/4" thick rings.  Seems incredibly hard in terms of rasping and scraping compared to what I expected, even though I have been working with hickory, bulletwood and osage most recently.  Could some moisture retention make it seem harder to work?  I don't have a meter.  Planning on a 69" straight flatbow for a corn fed  6'5" Pennsylvannia german farm boy with a 31" draw.

Dave

Offline Kegan

Re: white ash hardness?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:25:56 pm »
I know wood seems alot harder than normal when it gets too dry (and therefore brittle). Don't know about retaining it though.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:22:36 pm »
Dave, usually the wetter it is, the softer it is. Seasoned ash is pretty hard , tough wood, they make baseball bats out of it. I've made a few out of ash, and it works pretty easy with blade tools, but like you said, it's tough to rasp and scrape, especially wide limbs like you usually have on an ash bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:49:44 pm »
Dave, tiller well. I find it weak in compression. I've made darn few white ash bows that didn't fret.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 12:13:17 am »
    Had similar experiece as Jawge, have found some good white ash that was very hard and others that were very soft in compression. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 07:55:51 am »
So far I've had good luck with ash, my camo bow has at least 1000 shots on
it no fretting yet. I find the wood pretty easy to work.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:23:16 am »
this even hatcheted hard.  I haven't worked with something with such thick riings  -- there will only be two ring fadeouts per limb.

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 12:24:47 pm »
We put white ash flooring throughout our house because it is so hard...and beautiful.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC