Author Topic: Mountain Laurel  (Read 4113 times)

Offline medic336

Mountain Laurel
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:13:29 pm »
Does anyone have any Experience with Mountain Laurel? I live near Little River Canyon and we have a ton of it here. Any suggestions on design?

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Mountain Laurel
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:33:27 pm »
Most mountain laurel I've seen is quite twisted, which may pose a problem. If you can find a straight enough piece, try running some bend tests on a small piece before going for a full bow.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:19:51 am »
medic i was gonna ask the same thing,thats all we have here,laurel thickets everywhere and a lot of fairly straight stuff.I do know that while your crawlin through a thicket i you push one back out of the way and your hand slips that sucker will smack your face harder than my granny ever did! ;D Very springy stuff.Next on my to do list!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:57:39 am »
We have tons around here too. Locals call it "ivy" and a laurel thicket is an "ivy hell"!  Mountain laurel is some pretty hard wood so it should make a bow. I've never tried it but I probably have a stave or two in my bow wood stack.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline deiselbrown

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 07:37:36 am »
You can take a limb and tie a knot in it without it breaking. I was going to get a stave while I was in Viginia but couldn't find a straight enough bush. i bet it will make a very sprigy bow.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 08:02:30 am »
hey diesel next time i got to our cabin I'll find ya a good strait one and set it back for ya,we got alot of strait stuff here.

Southwest,VA

Offline deiselbrown

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 11:43:13 am »
That will be great maybe we'll find the next vine maple. I have never heard of anyone making a bow from it.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 06:08:18 pm »
no doubt I'm excited ;D

Southwest,VA

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 09:01:33 pm »
It's pretty hard, dense wood. I think Robustus made a bow out of either mountain laurel or rhododendron once. I've always threatened to try it, just never have gotten around to it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline medic336

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 10:25:36 pm »
Lots of straight stuff in the canyon here. usually not more than about 3.5 inch diameter,but some straight pieces 6-8 feet long. And most of these that I've seen are near public trails I'm sure there is lots more in the wild areas.....

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 10:51:57 pm »
Diesel how long a piece you want?

Southwest,VA