Author Topic: Rules for Entering Bow of the Month  (Read 45803 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Rules for Entering Bow of the Month
« on: August 31, 2010, 02:13:03 pm »
Bow of the Month Contest Rules

Self Bow Category:

1. Any bow in which the bending portion of the limb is made of one piece of wood. Tip overlays and handle laminations count in the selfbow category as long as the bending portion of the limbs remain one piece of wood. The back of the bow must be only wood or snake skin. 

2.  Modern String materials are allowed (some examples: B-50 dacron and Fast Flight)

Laminate or Backed Bow Category:

1.  Any bow in which the bending portion of the limbs consist of more than one piece of material whether it be wood, horn, or bamboo shall be included in the Laminate category.  Bows made from all horn will be included in this category.

2. Bows backed with soft materials:  Rawhide, Sinew, and Cloth backings all fall into the Backed Bow category.

3. Any use of fiberglass or phenolic in the bending portion of the limbs shall not be included in either category. Modern glues/epoxies and modern string materials for both categories are acceptable. 

Voting:

Voting takes place starting on the first few days of the following month.  All bows posted before 12 o'clock a.m. on the last day of the month shall be included in that month's contest.  Anything after 12 o'clock a.m. of the last day of the month will be included in the next month's contest.  However, if there are not enough entries for a good range of choices, the contest will be spread out over two months.

The polls will be open for approximately seven days.  Each member is allowed one vote, and the results of the poll will be posted after the polls close.  The winner will be announced at that time for each category.  The winner of that month will be featured in the upcoming magazine and will be awarded with a Bow of the Month Winner Hat from Primitive Archer Magazine.

Criteria for Bows in the Contest.

1. PM Tom (Stickhead) with the link of your bow post. Include your subscription number with your PM.  You DO have to have a subscription to Primitive Archer Magazine in order to enter a bow into BOM.

2.  All Bows that are to be included in the Bow of the Month Contest need to be posted in either the "Bows”, “Horn Bows”, or “English Warbow” Forum.  They must posted in their finished state during the month(s) of the current contest.  At the discretion of the moderator, some bows may be included from the immediately preceding month if there are extenuating circumstances, such as technical/communication problems, moderator error, etc.

3.  Side View Full draw shot where the whole bow can be seen from handle to each tip.  Tillering board/tree pics are acceptable.   

4.  Include draw weight and length in your post as well as length of your bow.

5.  Include type(s) of wood involved in making your bow.

6.  If you are declared the winner of either the Backed BOM contest or the Self BOM contest, you are required to give your name and location for the magazine article. 

7.  Please note that by entering this competition you automatically
    Give permission to “Bigger Than That Productions LLC” the
    owner of “PRIMITIVE ARCHER® magazine to utilize your
    photographs, digital images, name and address in the publication
    of the magazine and it’s online counterparts should you be
    selected as a winner of any category of BOW of the MONTH or
    BOW of the YEAR.

Helpful ideas: Bow should preferably be drawn as close to a right angle from the camera to give the best representation of the tiller of the bow. Make sure the background of your pic is something that will contrast with your bow limbs so the tiller of your bow can be seen in the pic as well.  I know most of us aren't photographers but you DID work hard on your bow try and show it off the best you can. Include a few pics of the handle, tips, braced and unbraced profiles. These pics are not required but ARE preferred because once again, you worked hard on your bow so show it off in its best light and to the best of your ability.

Good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:42:11 am by Stickhead »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline John Lawson

Re: Rules for Entering Bow of the Month
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:27:29 pm »
I last entered a bow in BOM in 2010 and now have another bow I would like to enter.  Unfortunately I have a complete mental block on how to go about this.  Please can you help me?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:08:23 pm »
John as long as you have a magazine subscription in any form you can enter. Entering is a total breeze. Just post your bow in the Bows section and private message the link to that thread to "CRIVERAVILLE". He handles it all from there. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:10:33 pm »
John you need your subscription # and send it and post your bow in the bows section, then send the sub# and a link of your bow post to cipriano
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:02 am »
Hei!
I´d like to add my latest bow to next BOM but I can´t find the address to "cipriano" which is mentioned in the rules. Should "criveraville" be used instead?

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:22:53 am »
Yeah that was my bad you can just click on his name and then his profile will come up, then click to send a pm and your golden
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Takintazipa

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:43:33 am »
Hello,
please let me know what I have to do, to having my bows in BOM context. I wrote my complain a few times, and still have no answer. I posted my work two months ago and still I'm not in contest. Please let me know what I have to do. here is a link.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49642.0.html

Thank you and I hope that it is just missunderstanding.

Takintazipa

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 02:21:53 pm »
cipriano name is not on the members list
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 02:30:01 pm »
John as long as you have a magazine subscription in any form you can enter. Entering is a total breeze. Just post your bow in the Bows section and private message the link to that thread to "CRIVERAVILLE". He handles it all from there.

It is in the thread.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Rowan Bows

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 04:43:36 am »
How does the voting take place I mean where are the polls?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 11:56:21 am »
Each month the candidates are presented here(below) in the BOM section. If you have a bow to enter you will need a full draw pic at least and send it and a link to your build to "stickhead". He does all the work of setting up the BOM and does a fantastic job of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline maitus

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 07:40:17 pm »
I won BOM in December a year ago but I didn´t get any award hat :(...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 07:47:33 pm by maitus »

Offline simk

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 03:15:44 am »
I won BOM in December a year ago but I didn´t get any award hat :(...

that's a sad and frustrating story. it's only a hat, but it was promised and you deserve it. They for free use your words and pics in their commercial magazine and then don't even manage to send that hat.

it's the same here. it took 11 months and several emails here to get that hat for September 2020. now I'm still waiting for my April BOM hat. I don't think it will ever arrive - given up.

Looks like they do a pretty good job scaring away people  :'(

Edit: I FINALLY GOT THAT HIGHLY REVERED BOM HAT NOW!!!!! Thank you PA  (-S
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 06:44:18 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Goldenwoodguy

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 09:33:13 am »
What about a billet bow? In which category does it fit?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 11:41:51 pm »
A bow made with billets is considered a selfbow once the billets are permanently joined.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC