Author Topic: snakeskin backing elmers vs titebond 3  (Read 9082 times)

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
snakeskin backing elmers vs titebond 3
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:44:01 pm »
I am fairly new to Primitive archery and have made six bows. I am working on my seventh and I am eager to try backing with snake skins. In July I bought some western diamond back skins from a guy at Dentin Hill named Gary Davis. I spoke with him for quite awhile about bow building and applying snake skins. It was suggested by him to use Elmers Glue. Since then I have read several articles about applying skins, but have yet to see anyone mention Elmers. It worries me a bit that Elmers is reversible with water. On the bows Gary showed me (which were beautiful) he used Tung Oil in which he had dipped the entire limb. My thought was if that would make it waterproof enough to prevent the skins from eventually lifting. My thoughts were along the lines of using Titebond 3. I am looking for opinions if anyone would like too....What glue do you guys use?? Maybe Titebond or Elmers isn't the answer??

Thanks guys.....Jon

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: snakeskin backing elmers vs titebond 3
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:52:27 pm »
I used titebond on mine.  Haven't had a problem with it at all.  Elmers will probably work since the snakeskin makes a waterproof backing anyways.  I would just be worried about the edges coming up.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 04:46:25 pm »
Gary knows what he is doing, so if he says it'll work, it will. The 'secret' though, is if you follow the rest of his instructions exactly, mainly making the bow very water resistant with poly, spar, tung oil, whatever. Then, it shouldn't matter about the glue.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 04:54:47 pm »
I've used nothing but TB3 for quite a while now, with no problems. I've NEVER had an edge lift, and I've probaby SS backed 20 or more bows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:56:39 pm »
Elmer's should work just fine.   If you talked at all to Gary you talked quite a while!  ;D  Gary is definitely a talker.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:53:02 pm »
The funny thing is I read the label on some of the white glues the other day and a lot of them had the same waterproof rating as TB3. Elmer's will be fine.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:18:12 pm »
Doesn't Elmers make a waterproof yellow carpenter's glue?  My bet is that Gary was referring to that over regular white school kid's glue.  I doubt that stuff is too strong, but then again it should work. 

My preference is actually for Franklin's liquid hide glue.  Snakeskins go on like a dream with it.  The glue has natural proteins that almost suck the skin right to the wood on contact, rather that being a slippery mess as with yellow glues.  The trouble is that liquid hide glue is hard to find and has a very short shelf life.  So, you buy a bottle and maybe do a few snakeskins through the year and the rest goes to waste.  Not that it's that expensive, but still.  If you do find it in a store, check the bottom of the bottle for the expiration date before you buy it.  I've seen it on store shelves long past the expiration date.

Given the short availability and shelf life of liquid hide glue, I usually use Titebond III.  I like it more than TBI and TBII because it's thicker and skins don't slide around as much when you're applying them.  It's the most waterproof glue in the TB lineup, and in that respect, may be better than liquid hide glue though I've never had issues with it.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:21 pm »
Alpinbogen,

I also use liquid hide glue for applying skins. I keep it refrigerated when I'm not using it and it keeps for a year or more.

Gordon
Gordon

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:12:14 pm »
I've considered hide glue, but I've always worried about what would happen if the skins got wet. I don't hunt in the rain, but I've been caught in the rain more than once, and I thought if hide glue got wet, it came unstuck. Maybe I should stop worrying?  ;D

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: snakeskin backing Elmer's vs titebond 3
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:13:46 pm »
I use stainable Elmer's wood glue. It has a neutral color when dry and doesn't change the color of the skin like yellow glues like TB or Elmer's waterproof glue.

Here is a timber rattler backed bow that I grabbed the yellow Elmer's by mistake when I glued on the skins. The yellow glue really shows through the skin.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 12:27:24 am »
I thought if hide glue got wet, it came unstuck. Maybe I should stop worrying? 

I've had my snakeskin bows in the rain lots of times with no trouble at all and hideglue is all I use for skins. Apply a good finish and you'll be fine.
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:42:37 pm »
Elmers will work fine,I now use TB3 but the reason Gary tells folks to use elmers ,you have more time to work with it and be sure all is straight and all the air bubbles out. Once you have done a few you can do that much quicker than someone just starting. With TB3 you have to work pretty quick.
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:20 pm »
Just about any glue will work . Gary is a teacher that wants us beginners to have a successful learning experience so his recommendations are based on his experience of what will be our best opportunity for that good experience !! Just go for it ! Life is Good , God is Good ,
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 07:57:17 pm »
Thank you guys for all the input....Sounds like i can't go wrong either way. I am going to use the elmers for my first try...because I am new at it and like Pappy said I'll get a little more working time. Gotta get it tillered first.....lol.......Just thinking ahead. Thanks to all that posted.

Jon