Author Topic: Opening Day 2010  (Read 3800 times)

Offline adb

Opening Day 2010
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:25:33 pm »
Aaahhh... it's finally here! Opening day of archery season. Mmmmm... my favourite time of year. Well, I hung my tree stand about 10 days ago, and left it to "season." It looked like an awesome spot... converging trails, poo-poo all over... it looked really active. I got up at 4:30am, drove the half hour out, and was in my stand 10 minutes before legal time. Just like xmas morning!
My stand faces basically west, with a large river about 400 yards away. The wind was out of the south, and almost calm. Not ideal, but it's opening morning! After a 20 minute wait, I hear movement to my right (north). Not good. When I walked into my stand, I swung around north and then came into my stand from downwind. Now, I could see the deer... a buck, coming from the north, heading south. Well, as soon as he cut my trail, he stopped dead. SNORT. SNORT, STOMP, WHEEZE. Game over. Done. Gone. BUSTED. Apply egg to face, rinse, repeat.  :P I toughed it out until 7:30, and then headed home for java. Oh well, still beats a good day at work! The wind is supposed to be N/NW tomorrow morning, so I'll give it another try.  ;D

Offline sonny

Re: Opening Day 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:12:18 pm »
exciting way to start the season though, huh ??
got another month to wait for archery season for deer here in Va.......

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:18:56 pm »
happy hunting brother! always great to get out in the outdoors
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:31:18 pm »
I'm exactly one month away myself. Which is good, 'cause my stand's not finished yet.  ::)
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:06:44 am »
I'll be heading to GA on the 10th. Been invited as a guest to my former hunt club.  ;D  8)  Last year was the first GA opener I've missed in over 25 years. The night before opening day is always a hoot at the Dixie Hunt Club. !  ;D
   adb, I can only hope to have the same excitement as you on opening day.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 12:44:06 am »
Even being busted, it was still an awesome day! A mature bald eagle glided past over the river, I saw a yoot, and a woodpecker worked his way up and down the tree right beside me, pecking for bugs. I love being outside!  ;D Can't wait until tomorrow!

kinkfeather

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 03:53:02 pm »
if it was easy we would not be hunting those critters would we.your time will come.kink

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 08:54:31 pm »
I'm exactly one month away myself. Which is good, 'cause my stand's not finished yet.  ::)

Today, my neighbor and I made great progress on my stand. Now I have a platform to stand on, but I'd like to have a 'rail' around for a little extra safety and camo.

Keep us posted on how your season is going.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery