Author Topic: how late to harvest  (Read 5945 times)

Offline billmac

how late to harvest
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:18:01 am »
OK.  I live in Northern NY.  Right at the top.  I want to harvest several trees for bowmaking for the summer, and I want to get them before the new growth ring gets started.  The weather, and well, life, has prevented us from getting out into the woods yet.  How late do you think we can go?  Or should I not worry about it and just scrape the thin new ring off if I cut them in the summer?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: how late to harvest
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:42:54 am »
There is no bad time to cut bow wood.  Some times may be better, but if you have time to cut wood and have access to wood. Cut it. Just make sure you seal it good as soon as you cut it if the water is up. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 12:22:27 pm »
For white wood I would wait til the leaves have come out. That way the bark will peel easily.  Split your logs and seal the ends. I would not necessarily take the bark off until you are ready to make staves and when you do remove the bark, seal the back. Some say it is not necessary but it is worth a little shellac for insurance.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:31:18 pm »
As long as it is a white wood, I wouldn't worry about cutting prior to the tree starting a new growth ring. I would cut after leaves are out, peal off the bark while it's easy, if you wait until the wood starts drying that bark will be hard to get off and require a lot more work. After removing the bark, scrape off the fibrous cambium layer, dry with towells and seal the back and ends. I agree with Pat that sealing the back is cheap insurance against checking. We've lost a lot of wood before by not sealing the back.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline episaacs

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 05:04:45 pm »
Greg, I live in Burlington and I've cut osage and other woods at all times of the year.  If you cut while the sap is up, try to leave the log as intact as you can in order to avoid checking in the side of the staves, or seal the whole stave.  I've lost some mighty nice hedge by not doing this.  Same with white woods; they all seem to me to check between the growth rings if they dry too fast from full sap.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 05:20:40 pm »
One other thing I have heard of but never tried.  You wait until the leaves are on it and cut it down and seal the butt end.  You leave the tree attached to the top for a day or two and the leaves suck a lot of the moisture out. Then go back and cut the top off and seal it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 05:09:38 pm »

Justin, I've heard that also and it makes sense. Havn't tried it though.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...