Author Topic: Hunting is out for me this year  (Read 19365 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Hunting is out for me this year
« on: September 02, 2010, 01:56:01 am »
I really didn't want to post this at first but here goes...

My blood pressure has been steadily climbing for the past year and I finally went to see a doctor about it last week.  He gave me some blood pressure medicine and told me I needed to follow up with a Cardiologist because my heart murmur had gotten louder ( I was born with a systolic murmur and a bicuspid aortic valve).  I went to see the Cardiologist on Monday and he did an echo and told me that my aortic valve needs to be replaced with open heart surgery.  Because of my age he told me I would have to get a mechanical valve so that means I will be on Coumadin (anticoagulant) for the rest of my life. I was hoping I could hold off getting the surgery until the new year but he told me I needed to have it done by the end of October.  I am getting married October 9th and he told me to go ahead with that, go on my honeymoon, and come back and get the surgery.  He also told me that the rest of my heart is fine and I should make a quick and easy recovery from the surgery.  It still scares me since it IS open heart surgery.  I think the worst part is I am not gonna get to hunt this year and there's no telling how long it is gonna be before I can draw a bow or even make a bow.  Bow building/archery are such a big part of my life now I can't imagine a life without it.  The good news is I will be able to catch up on my reading of all the back issues, LOL.  Bad news I probably won't be able to flint knap any more because of the blood thinners I will be on for life.  Sorry for writing all this I really just wanted to let you guys know.  Most of you I consider pretty good friends even though I haven't even met most of you face to face.  Wish me luck.   :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:08:21 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Hunting is out for me this year
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 02:12:59 am »
My Prayers are going out for You my Friend..I too was born with a Systolic Murmur...along with three more of my Siblings...but We have been more Fortunate...Ours have never gotten worse...mine doesnt ever bother Me ...unless I get really Upset....pissed off....or scared...then It lets Me know that it's still there....

You will do just fine Josh...Young and Strong as You are...you will bounce right back...and remember...the Deer will be there next Fall...and the Bow...well just think how special it will feel again when you get to make another one... ;)

And remember to kiss that Bride of Your for Me on the 9th too...Behave....Take Care....and God Bless
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:18:59 am »
Thank you Mike.  I know you are going through tough times yourself and you have been in my prayers as well.   :)  I just can't stop thinking about them having to crack my chest open and then stop my heart for the valve replacement... The doctor told me that the surgeons do them all the time, I should be just fine and I have a less than 1 percent chance of dying on the table but it is still scary as heck.  The only plus is I am marrying a Cardiac Nurse so there is that.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 02:22:10 am »
Josh,
  I'm very sorry to hear this and the Danforth family will be praying for you.  As Mike said you seem strong as an ox and young enough that I'm sure you'll recover fine.
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:26:31 am »
It ain't the Same as it was 30 years ago...they used to cut the Sternum...and then Bend the Ribs out to expose the Heart...now it is a lot less Invasive...and the Bypass Systems are all Computerized now...a lot less Human Error there too...I know that You are Afraid...but I have Faith that You will do just Fine...sux that a Pig Valve is out though...but You are too young for that Option....unless You want to do this 3-4 more times in Your Long Life.......... ;D

As for My Life...yeah this Year has been full of Ups and Downs for Me also...but You just Worry about YOU....And everything will work out...have Faith
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 02:31:47 am »
Thank you very much Nate, means alot man.   

Yeah Mike I wanted the Pig valve at first till the doctor told me it was out of the question.  I wanted it so I wouldn't have to take the Coumadin.  But I would rather get it done once than to have to go through it again down the road..  He said the mechanical valves are designed to last hundreds of years but in someone as young as me my heart would tear the pig valve up in a few years. 

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 03:40:52 am »
... and there's no telling how long it is gonna be before I can draw a bow or even make a bow.  Bow building/archery are such a big part of my life now ...

I believe if you try not to make a bow each day, but take you're time and enjoy your doings, go slow and in small steps, also if you shoot a nice lighter bow a few arrows a day and concentrate on each and every arrow it'll help you to find back to 'normal', find back to yourself!
All the best to you and your future family from across the big pond...
Frank from Germany...

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:55:09 am »
It is good you are getting it repaired. The medical field has alot of advancments today. Valve replacement is like routine surgery now. I wish you a speedy recovery, a long life, and happy mariage. You should be able to shoot build and knap with the right precautions.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:07:34 am »
Good luck man!  Praying for swift recovery.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:12:46 am »
Same here Josh no hunting or building bows for me this year Long story  but am looking foward to when I can get back in the groove
Think it will be just like riding a bicycle we will step right back in Good luck with the surgey I know all to well what the Docs can do
these days Plenty of prayers will be sent up from our house

Ron
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:21:52 am by King Ron »

Offline Josh

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:32:09 am »
Thanks for the support and prayers Frank, TJ, Jeff, and Ron.   :)

Offline BearG

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 10:35:29 am »
Good luck with every thing.  Will be praying for you brother
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:24 am »
Good luck, Josh.  Praying for a speedy recovery here.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 12:38:05 pm »
Good luck, Josh! Try not to worry. It's not "routine" surgery, but valve repacements are very successful. I've spent the past 25 years in the OR at our local University Hospital, working in the Anaesthesia Department, specializing in bypass surgeries. We do two a day, five days a week, year round. Morbidity and mortality rates are very low, and recoveries are relatively short, usually home within a week. You'll be sore, but if you're otherwise healthy, you'll bounce back fast. You'll also feel better, as your aortic valve regurge will be gone. Hang in, try not to worry, get married, take this hunting season off, and you'll be back next year!

Offline Josh

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 12:43:03 pm »
Thanks Adb.  :)   Makes me feel a little better about it.  Thanks for the reassurance.