Author Topic: Day Two  (Read 3379 times)

Offline adb

Day Two
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:25:59 pm »
Day two. Wind was perfect, N/NW, right in my face while sitting in my stand. Up and waiting 10 mins before legal time. I was having a hard time staying awake, and I just closed my eyes for a sec. When I opened my eyes, there they were! Two bucks. Both still in velvet. The lead buck was a dandy... 5X5, decent spread, probably a 130-140 class buck. Right behind him was a little fork horn. They were coming from my right, and if they maintained their current course, they would walk right in front of my stand, no more than 10 yards. I slowly stood up, nocked an arrow, turned to position myself, and waited. Here we go.
They just stopped at 30 yards. Not alarmed, just feeding and looking around. The little buck gave a shake to get rid of the morning dew, and they both remained relaxed. At one point they both looked right at me, and nothing. No recognition of danger, nothing. I felt good about my camo, and the wind was perfect. Just be patient. At one point, they both saw something to the south, and flicked their ears forward, and stuck out their necks, looking hard. They eventually relaxed, but remained stuck at 30 yards. I had endless possibilities for a shot, as they were just feeding, and milling around, but they weren't coming closer. Just be patient.
Long story short, they took the trail to the right, and didn't come closer. I did draw on the bigger buck at one point, but let off. 30 yards is just outside my comfort zone, so I held off. Not killing a buck like that cleanly, would be a crime.
WOW! What a morning. Close. So close. Being so close to deer who have no idea you're there is so exciting.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Day Two
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »
Wow... eloquently written.  Made me feel as if I were in the stand with you.  Thanks for that.  Good job of knowing your comfort zone and doing the honorable thing and not taking a shot you weren't comfortable with.  Thanks for the cool story.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:51:12 pm »
Thanks ,I enjoyed that,another 3 weeks for me.Can't wait.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 12:54:12 pm »
Thanks, Josh! I won't let an arrow go unless my confidence is very high. If the little voice in my head says "no go," I listen. Don't get me wrong, it's very hard! I drew down on that buck, and even started to relax my hand, but I stopped. I have too much respect for such a fine animal.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:06:28 pm »
Wished I could do that,I can't draw on one unless I am ready to shoot,I have had friends tell me they will draw on one just for practice,if I draw when I hit ancor she's gone. Good luck . :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:41:04 pm »
 Sounds like a good morning. Sorry it couldn't have been a better one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:54:20 pm »
Hey, Eddie

Nah, mate, it was an awesome morning!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 12:33:20 am »
 Yea, Bud, I could tell. I wish I was having one like that. When's day three? :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 12:56:57 am »
With this much activity on day 1 and 2 it won't be long now before the hero shot!  8)
  Now mind you...I love deer meat and shooting deer with bow and arrow but if I have a deer in shooting range or in your case "almost" close enough, then I have beat him(or her) at their game and in their neighborhood. ;D  8)  Might not get to take home the prize but you out smarted the deer and that's quite a feat. Patience and tenacity will win out in the end.
  I can only hope my first 2 hunts will be as intense are yours have been...but I'm not holding my breath.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:14:21 am »
No day three... morning of day three, anyway. Wind is out of the S/SE this morning. That couldn't be worse, so I sat this morning out. Maybe this evening!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:37:34 pm by adb »

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 06:14:28 pm »
Sounds like a great hunt.Ours starts on Oct. 2,and I can't wait. I just got back from scoutin' a spot I had'nt hunted before.I'm not seeing much sign,but I know they are there. ;) God Bless
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:26:48 am by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 08:13:13 am »
adb. When i close my eyes for a second, they seem to stay closed for a while,ZZZZZZ ;D :P Great story. Godd luck, hope to see pics. of the big one, when you get him ;).

kinkfeather

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 03:46:45 pm »
adb,i bet you would not trade that time in the woods for nothing would you.your time will come you can bet on that.if it was easy their would not be excitement an that is what it is all about.enjoy your surroundings at all times.memories are worth more than a pot of gold.kink

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 01:45:36 am »
Man... no day three yet!! :'( :'(. It's either been raining, or the wind has been out of the east, or both. Aaaargghh. It's supposed to stop raining with improved wind direction on Thursday. Torture!!