Author Topic: cleaning deer hooves  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Blacktail

cleaning deer hooves
« on: September 02, 2010, 01:42:35 pm »
so,how do you experts clean deer hooves for tip of bows...john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: cleaning deer hooves
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »
John, I've never used deer hooves as overlays but have used cow and pig hooves from Pet-R-Us for overlays. All I did was cut with a band saw, shaped with a belt sander. Degrease with alcohol or acetone and glue um down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:19:12 am »
hey pat..thanks for the info...i was just wondering if i could salvage more off a deer...and for a future project...john

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:56:08 am »
John, I've never used deer hooves as overlays but have used cow and pig hooves from Pet-R-Us for overlays. All I did was cut with a band saw, shaped with a belt sander. Degrease with alcohol or acetone and glue um down.

I bet that stinks!

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:49:03 am »
Thanks Pat, I think I'm gonna try that out.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline Christophero

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:12:58 pm »
I have a couple of deer hooves, doe, that I let dry out.  Once the bone is out of them there really isn't much left to work with. 

Offline macbow

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 11:02:52 pm »
I saved the ones from last season after dipping the foot in boiling water they just pull off.
I haven't found anything to use them on yet.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 11:08:39 pm »
if you tie the toes and dew claws,after they have been pulled off and dried of course,on a string you can make a rattle from it
i believe that some of the indians used these as a "door bell" on their tee pee entrances.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline finnfoto

• Shoot straight and have fun.
    • www.finandfoto.com
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »
make sure you put some dry preservative over the cutt off and possibly consider mixing up a cup of dry preservative or 20 mule team borax with some cold water and soak the hooves for about 15 minutes init and then let dry by hanging from a wire around the cut off. This helps prevent any hauir slippage and bugs especially moths getting into a feeding frenzy..  Its usually best to cut all the hoof meat out with a scalpel and inject some liquid DP. into the leg portion of the hoof and under the skin and let dry.  once its dry you can go back with some 2 part epoxy putty and fill in the holes you removed the meat from and paint.   Just a few idea's to ponder.
Sam Wagaman