Author Topic: First Bow  (Read 20722 times)

Bob S.

First Bow
« on: April 17, 2007, 01:14:04 pm »
I want to tell you folks that I've looked at the bow pics on this site and you guys do some awesome work. Beautiful bows! I'll be starting my first bow soon (white ash) and from what I've read here, I'd be better off crafting a flat bow from this wood, as opposed to the long bow that I intended to make. Is this because a flat bow would be stronger/more durrable than a long bow made from ash?

Offline DanaM

Re: First Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 01:34:38 pm »
By long bow do you mean an English Long Bow(ELB)?  the flatbow is a American Long Bow (ALB)
I'd say do what your heart desires there are folk on here that can help no matter which type you do.
I've only made ALB with ridgid handles, I believe the ELB is a bend thru the handle design. I believe you have to tiller differently
depending which way you go. Good Luck eh.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Bob S.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 01:59:26 pm »
Look at that, I'm learning already. I meant the English long bow, but from what you describe the ALB is what I have in mind. Looks like I've got a lot to learn. Thanks for the info.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:12:35 pm »
If ya haven't already bought them I would suggest getting The Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol 1,2,&3
also a subscription to Primitive Archer Magazine.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Bob S.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 02:19:39 pm »
Primitive Archer was already on my list and I will look into The Traditional Archers Bible too.

Thanks again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 04:04:23 pm »
There are folks here that have made ELB and ALB style bows from ash. Either can be done but I think a flatter belly would be preferrable...at least by me.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 04:14:40 pm »
yep, i like 'em flat and i like 'em wide  ;D

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 04:33:51 pm »
Not me.  I prefer 'em short with just a little bit of stack.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 04:36:20 pm »
Hey Marius and Stickhead, Ya'll are talking about ash bows aren't ya!  :-\   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 05:35:38 pm »
Bob, If I had to choose just one of the three TBB it would  be 1 without a doubt.  You can get the others later if you need to.  I would definitely get PA magazine though.  I think you would be happier with the flat belly.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 06:21:13 pm »
There is a great article in a back issue (help me out here with which one guys) called 'A pair to draw to.'  The author builds a flatbow and longbow out of hickory and compares their performance.  The test is not perfect, but it does reveal the difference between the two styles when made from a white wood like hickory, ash, elm, etc.  You can pick up that back issue for about $3.

And, Dana I think there is a notable difference between the American flatbow and American versions of the longbow (i.e., the St. Charles semi-stacked style).  You are right to say that there is a more 'American' version of the longbow, but the flatbow is something different.  Typically, everything that is not a recurve or compound is called a longbow and this just adds to the confusion.  (Sorry to argue jots and tittles here  ::) )

J. D. Duff
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:22:50 pm by J. D. Duff »

Dustybaer

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 06:21:23 pm »
definitely, the others should be not so wide and not so flat  ;D

i agree with justin on the TBB1.  the chapter about bow design and performance was my favorite.  must have read it 100 times and still discovered new things in it.

woody

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 07:34:58 pm »
You have a huge head start being familiar with this website than I did when I built my first bow - a lot of good advice from good people. 

Good Luck! Have Fun!  : - )

woody

Bob S.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 07:50:06 pm »
From what I've seen so far, I have to agree woody. Thank's everybody, I really appreciate all the help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 07:58:31 pm »
Marius, You ought to blush with that remark.  :-[  LOL    Pat